Thread: Article: Don't panic, but that public Wi-Fi comes from ... inside your house

2. vBCms Comments   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I can see this as being a plus for customers. I would really like to know what the true security experts think about the safety of having this switched on...

3. vBCms Comments   -   #3
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    My BT router has this feature, which cannot be turned off. Mind you, since I am in the middle of nowhere, no one can use it except myself, since if anyone is close enough to be able to use it, they would be trespassing.

On a plus side, I could download a film using the hotspot instead of my main line, then claim someone else had downloaded the film should someone point the finger at me.

Mind you, they should ask your permission before giving away your bandwidth which you are paying for.

4. vBCms Comments   -   #4
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    MBM this can certainly be a useful feature if done right.

The problem is that it's often done without customers being aware of it (just because it's possibly inside some footnote on a massive contract doesn't make it any less slimy), and it saps their bandwidth and electricity for a service you really didn't necessarily want.

In addition, all someone has to do is set up a router called "xfinitywifi" to get unwitting people to enter their comcast password (and potentially other accounts since people use the same passwords) and there you go, easy identity theft.

There's a lot of problems with imo. I think it should certainly be opt in. Perhaps with some sort of a benefit if you do to motivate you to opt in.

5. vBCms Comments   -   #5
    In Europe this already exists for some years.
    I'm from portugal and one of the major ISPs actually publicizes this as a major plus.
    You can access internet in any hotspot around the world using your credentials.
    You can see that it's also coming to EUA here:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-...fonera-launch/

6. vBCms Comments   -   #6
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    In addition, all someone has to do is set up a router called "xfinitywifi" to get unwitting people to enter their comcast password (and potentially other accounts since people use the same passwords) and there you go, easy identity theft.
    Ouch. How can a user on-the-go confirm an authentic access point?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. vBCms Comments   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    My BT router has this feature, which cannot be turned off.
    If you phone the BTOpenzone helpdesk they should be able to turn the feature off for you, it used to be a website you apply to to get it turned off.
    Very annoying having to 'apply' to turn something off that benefits only BT and not myself but never mind hey.

8. vBCms Comments   -   #8
    Is anyone sure if it counts against your bandwidth or if is throttled so as to not affect your own usage on the side you pay for?

9. vBCms Comments   -   #9
    And they keep on growing. Free wifi everywhere and hackers delight.

10. vBCms Comments   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Ouch. How can a user on-the-go confirm an authentic access point?
    was thinking the same thing