The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
    In all of the directions it can whizz
    As fast as it can go, the speed of light, you know
    Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure
    How amazingly unlikely is your birth
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
    'Cause there's bother all down here on Earth
    Speed is relative to a given point. If it is a fixed point, you can calculate speed accurately, with reference to that given point. If the point is fluid, floating, or otherwise mobile, then speed is more of a differential. Two cars are traveling at 50 mph. If they are traveling in the same direction, then the speed of the first vehicle relative to the second vehicle is 0 mph, yet if they are traveling in exact opposite directions, either towards or away from each other, the speed of the first vehicle relative to the second is then 100 mph.

The problem with your own calculations is that much of it is assumptions. The assumption that a galactic central point exists, and that it exists where you think it exists can easily distort your own figures. Remember than spacial calculations are based on current experience and our observations of the galaxy from this little part of it. No one from Earth has actually mapped the galaxy, so what we believe about our galaxy is purely based on mathematics, and not hard evidence.

Our scientists may be good, but they are not THAT good. After all, if they knew everything, what would be the point in continual education and advancement. New concepts and ideas are discovered every single day. We are currently on the eve of understanding DNA and how it affects our growth; it won't be long before our scientists will master DNA and modify it, for better or worse.

Soon, we'll send a man to Mars, and start populating the Moon. All this is to be achieved, yet it is within our sights. How many hundreds of years before we finally explore the outer sections of our solar system? After all, it took us thousands of years just to explore this planet, and there are still areas unexplored by man.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

3. Lounge   -   #63
    Even if not infinite, at it's borders it's expanding faster than the speed of light so there are places we will never ever be able to reach

4. Lounge   -   #64
    really really really big

5. Lounge   -   #65
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Quote Originally Posted by themattler View Post
    Even if not infinite, at it's borders it's expanding faster than the speed of light so there are places we will never ever be able to reach
    Yes, but there are places on Earth that we, as individuals, would never be able to reach. If we started exploring at 18 years of age, after a basic education, and providing money was no object, do you think we could experience everything this world has to offer? Do you even know your own country from top to tail? Besides, the majority of space is simply empty, devoid of everything including an atmosphere. Why bother with all this useless space.
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

6. Lounge   -   #66
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Yeah I see you're point.Like just the other day I went to this new restaurant downtown.Totally not worth it.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Lounge   -   #67
    ckrit's Avatar Flagpole
    Quote Originally Posted by usekitty View Post
    really really really big
    That's what she said.
    ckrit d<rit c|<rit

Mi signotaur > urs.

8. Lounge   -   #68
    really really big... really?

9. Lounge   -   #69
    Infinite.

10. Lounge   -   #70
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Quote Originally Posted by zerosquared View Post
    Infinite.
    Can anyone comprehend what it must be like to set off in one direction and to never come to an end. Imagine living for billions of years and traveling at the speed of light, or faster, and never encountering a border?

I think the word, 'infinite', doesn't even come close to describing the universe. I mean, if you set off on foot around our globe, and could walk on water, even though you would walk forever in a circle, you would still pass the same spot you started at time and time again. In space, you'd never pass that same spot.

It is quite feasible to expect other life within this massive universe, and to also expect that these other life forms never to meet. The vastness of space is beyond comprehension.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast