Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race, The N Word And People In General

muchspl2
    I'll never understand why people get so asshurt over a word. Words carry no meaning, a word means nothing, it is a bunch of letters which WE PERCIEVE to have a meaning. So that meaning could be different to everyone. Hence, two black men gladly call eachother "nigger" while if anyone else, god forbid, say that word, the world ends. I think its rediculously childish for any one to be hurt by any word. Just rediculous.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    That's a very naive analogy. Take for example: two heterosexual guys who are friends. If one calls the other a homo for refusing to talk to a girl, would it then be OK to call a total stranger a homo? Not unless you have good dental insurance! (Pls forgive the example...no disrespect to gays intended). I don't think witnessing two black men calling each other "nigger" is proof no one should be offended. Did you ever consider the idea that the two guys (black, white, green) calling each other by the "n" word is just bigotedly wrong? It is possible! If you believe the word is not offensive, do a litmus test a try using it on total strangers (black, white, or whatever race). It's not just the word but it's also the context. BTW, if a guy wearing a swastika calls any person a nigger or whatever bigoted word, the person on the other end should not be offended? Or does the two black guys analogy cancels the context and meaning of every bigoted word? I don't think so!

3. Lounge   -   #3
    muchspl2
    good I see your point, but its all context, not the word itself, you see that right

I started this topic too here some responses, keep'em coming

4. Lounge   -   #4
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by muchspl2@23 November 2003 - 02:25
    I'll never understand why people get so asshurt over a word. Words carry no meaning, a word means nothing, it is a bunch of letters which WE PERCIEVE to have a meaning. So that meaning could be different to everyone. Hence, two black men gladly call eachother "nigger" while if anyone else, god forbid, say that word, the world ends. I think its rediculously childish for any one to be hurt by any word. Just rediculous.
    Is it for you to decide what should or should not "hurt" someone?
    I believe that is a personal matter.

Peace brotherdoobie

5. Lounge   -   #5
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    "Shut up or I'll pop a wheelie on your tricycle, and laugh as you try to look cool as you rattle off the edge of the porch and impale your head in the giant pile of shit I just beat out of you."

I suppose someone might take offence at that.....
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    You allways assume that the person delivering the "words" actually mean what they say, otherwise why bother writing them in the first place. However, smilies have been introduced to TRY to convey the feelings behind it.

Here then are my feelings about the first part: - yes, it was a joke, but someone somewhere wil allways take offence.

Peace
    UKMan

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    i agree with muchspl2. america has become a country full of women er something...always whinin about what some1 said. GET OVER IT!

i can honestly say that i can't remember a time where i was offended or hurt by something some1 said 2 me. they are just words and should be treated as such.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by kurtsl0an@23 November 2003 - 05:03
    i agree with muchspl2. america has become a country full of women er something...always whinin about what some1 said. GET OVER IT!

i can honestly say that i can't remember a time where i was offended or hurt by something some1 said 2 me. they are just words and should be treated as such.
    Yes but..........That is how you feel.
    Others may not feel the same way.

Words are what we use to communicate.
    Are you saying they should hold no meaning?

So when you tell someone you love them......... It means nothing.
    Words are powerful use them wisely.

Peace brotherdoobie

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Racist comments, if you don't understand why its a problem you've probably never really experienced it.

Its something stupid that we could all do without. Why not help kill it off

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by brotherdoobie@23 November 2003 - 10:10
    So when you tell someone you love them......... It means nothing.
    yes, telling some1 you love them, means nothing - imo. showing them you love them means more.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by ilw@23 November 2003 - 10:11
    Racist comments, if you don't understand why its a problem you've probably never really experienced it.

Its something stupid that we could all do without. Why not help kill it off
    when i was in the marines corps, i worked with 8 african americans and 1 other white guy. i got crap on a daily basis, and a lot of times - they were dead serious.

i just said, whatever to them - and never went there. i don't condone racism in any way, and i'm sorry if i implied that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast