Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup starts today

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Soccer is a team game. Penalty kicks are not.
    I'd have to double check Wikipedia or something, but I think the goalkeep is a member of the team.

The point is, many goal scoring opportunities have been 1-on-1 encounters.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 07-06-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Sports Club   -   #22
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    And my point is that the large majority of those one and one encounters that were created are because the team played in a cohesive manner (and the other team didn't) which allowed such an opportunity to arise.

Yes, the goalkeeper is a member of the team, but he's only 1/11th of the team. A team sport should not be decided by 2 out of the 22 players on the field.

3. Sports Club   -   #23
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    If a team loses because they didn't increase their goal differential by 1, then no real complaints can be made when they lose out in a penalty kick shootout. The winners of said shootout can't really go around bragging either. In the end, goalie vs. goalie is best.

Alternatives:
    watching an exhausted group of men being murmured on by a worn out crowd
    a fucking coin toss
    a boxing decision

Regarding that last one, I think decisions should be made by letting boxers exchange free shots to the cheek, and the first one to go down loses. I mean, they've already signed up for getting punched in the face.
    After regulation time stop calling penalties and let them settle it like the hooligans there are.

If after 30 minutes of overtime there is still no scoring,arm them.

Basically win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    And my point is that the large majority of those one and one encounters that were created are because the team played in a cohesive manner (and the other team didn't) which allowed such an opportunity to arise.

Yes, the goalkeeper is a member of the team, but he's only 1/11th of the team. A team sport should not be decided by 2 out of the 22 players on the field.
    God help me but I agree with you,even though already having regular penalty kicks basically kicks the argument in the nuts.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-06-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Sports Club   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    After regulation time stop calling penalties and let them settle it like the hooligans there are.

If after 30 minutes of overtime there is still no scoring,arm them.

Basically win/win.
    I used to play prison ball. I was never really a fan of basketball, but prison ball was fun as fuck... well as fun as fucking seems to be to other people
    :/

In other words, I'm all for seeing what these theater performers would do when diving is taken off the table.

5. Sports Club   -   #25
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I used to play prison ball. I was never really a fan of basketball, but prison ball was fun as fuck... well as fun as fucking seems to be to other people
    This brings back fond memories. I always sucked at basketball. Seems it was just my concern of rules and penalties that got in the way. I was actually pretty good when it came to stopping the other guys from scoring, and being able to shoot while 2-3 of them tried to drag me down. Think Mungo from Blazing Saddles making free throws. Since everyone was busy trying to pull me down, nobody was there to block my shots.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Sports Club   -   #26
    I would get tackled in midair when I went for a layup. I would suplex the person trying to keep the ball away from me. It's a very exciting form of give and take.

7. Sports Club   -   #27

Smile

That would be cool.

8. Sports Club   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bakwardbob View Post
    That would be cool.
    You don't even know what's being discussed, loser.

9. Sports Club   -   #29
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I would get tackled in midair when I went for a layup. I would suplex the person trying to keep the ball away from me. It's a very exciting form of give and take.
    I was the "new kid" at a school I was only at for a year. The main intent of those on the other team was get the new guy. They tried. On a half-court it isn't possible to get the same sort of inertia available in football ('Merkin for the foreigners reading this ) for a GOOD tackle, so the best the other team could do was attempt to gang up on me. I could not pick my "teammates" out of a police lineup if I had to, but I remember occasionally passing the ball to them while everyone else was trying to drag me to the ground.

BTW, this was in the school gym. Our PE "teacher" typically just left us to go "do stuff". And would literally leave.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. Sports Club   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    BTW, this was in the school gym. Our PE "teacher" typically just left us to go "do stuff". And would literally leave.
    Did anyone ever see his tripod?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast