Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Israeli Processor Computes At Speed Of Light

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by balamm@23 November 2003 - 20:33
    Then you'll be quite happy with your slow electronic processor when the rest of the world jumps to light processing I guess. To each their own I guess.
    That's completely beside the point.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    The point? What point?
    That you aren't willing to understand physics and new techmology based on a new understanding of physics?

Whatever, stamp your feet and make your declarations then. Makes no difference to me or anyone who is interested in advance.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by balamm+23 November 2003 - 20:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm @ 23 November 2003 - 20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@23 November 2003 - 15:05
    Electricity travels at the speed of light so don&#39;t our current CPU compute at the speed of light?
    Does it? Theres debate about that. Certainly the operations and switches aren&#39;t done at the speed of light.

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/topic/5367-1.html

Search google using your statement " Electricity travels at the speed of light" and you&#39;ll find a lot of this. [/b][/quote]
    Who said the speed of light is the fastest? B)
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i also read a post on slashdot about some company working on a new cpu that could be added to an existing pc as a pci card which could give it massive amounts of computing power. the probability we will even see any of this technology in the next 10 years are pretty slim i bet.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Originally posted by ZaZu@23 November 2003 - 22:01
    The processor performs 8 trillion operations per second, equivalent to a super-computer and 1,000 times faster than standard processors, with 256 lasers performing computations at light speed.

8 Trillion operations? How many do the current CPUs have?? say the P4...and if electricity is as fast as light...wouldnt it still be a LOT faster with the 8trillion operations? Thanx for this topic...very interesting
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    i think they were exaggerating when they said "operating at the speed of light",but thats just me

U RNT LEET LIKE ME&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;11111111111111

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@24 November 2003 - 01:27
    I can&#39;t be bothered to read that, balamm. Electricity is close enough to being the speed of light in my book.
    yes close but did you ever take into consideration that electrons in a circuit experience something called resistance, which produce heat?

light doesn&#39;t always travel at the speed of light either, by passing light through a range of mediums scientists were able to slow photons to a crawl.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    You have an awesome comp...just wanted to let you know..and would a CPU with 8 trillion operations be alot more then todays CPUs?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    No way 256 , class 2 lasers i guess. depends on exactly how they have it set up, are going to use less power than the current silicon chips we have out.

Hmm, I wonder what kind of lasers that are going to be doing that computing power, seems a bit odd.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Sveegaard
    1) The speed of electrons (electricity) is MAX 1/10th the speed of light - and alot slower in wires.

2) The processor is about 2 THz, as far as I remember. Quite impressive And no cooling required, thanks to the light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast