Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music -not For The Music Forum

Why do you think we derive such pleasure from music from an animal perpspective. What is the purpose, does it relate to survival?

I have my own views but I am interested in seeing what people think before I bias anyone with my thoughts.

nice dreams
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    i was watching a program the other day and it was showing how different music activates different part of the brain, and that classical music showed the highest activity in a lot of cases.

the program was also saying that during your formative years, it helps to keep the brain active to stimulate and assist learning, a use it or lose it sort of thing. there were also opinions given during the program stating that this did not have a huge effect on intelligence.

but anyways, i hear pigs also love music.

maybe it relates back to a more primitive time when humans (or our ancestors) communicated in a more melodic form that we do today.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by the_faceman@23 November 2003 - 22:16
    ibut anyways, i hear pigs also love music.

Have you been in the cells that often.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Could this all relate to the "mating call" that birds exhibit?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by hobbes@23 November 2003 - 22:51
    Considering we were supposed to originally evolve from the sea. I doubt that.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    internet.news
    when making music - i played piano some time ago - you can express your thoughts - some of my friends are playing in a band.

when listening as well you can identify with some feelings - me personally when I listen to some music i imagine a story, of e.g. being free and traveling freely around the world ;) nice....

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by bigboab+23 November 2003 - 23:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 23 November 2003 - 23:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@23 November 2003 - 22:51
    Considering we were supposed to originally evolve from the sea. I doubt that. [/b][/quote]
    Birds came from seas as well, we (human/birds) share a common ancestor.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Music was the first form of language and is the highest of the arts. At the same time it is the most basic.

Any creature which can make a sound can make music. Whether it be by their own mouth, or vibrating another part of their body, or just hitting things together. These sounds can be associated with emotional responses - fear, love, anger, joy etc.

Music forms an integral part of our being, it produces emotional responses beyond our control. We vibrate in harmony with the universe. We are hard wired to the music.

Close your eyes, sit back in a comfortable chair, dim the lights and listen to Bach on a decent radiogram. You are at one with the universe.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@23 November 2003 - 18:02
    Close your eyes, sit back in a comfortable chair, dim the lights and listen to Bach on a decent radiogram. You are at one with the universe.
    The same with Iron Maiden.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes+23 November 2003 - 23:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 23 November 2003 - 23:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by bigboab@23 November 2003 - 23:53
    <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes
    @23 November 2003 - 22:51

Considering we were supposed to originally evolve from the sea. I doubt that.
    Birds came from seas as well, we (human/birds) share a common ancestor. [/b][/quote]
    Really, I am shocked.

I had thought birds and mammals had a different lineage. Is this incorrect.

Weren&#39;t the birds and the dinosaurs of the same ilk. Scales, feathers, eggs that sort of thing. Whereas we were more of the hair, children born live variety.

As ever one lives and learns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast