Thread: Portable Ebooks

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i was thinking about getting my dad a palmtop or something that is capable of reading ebooks for his christmas.

so he can reads books whenever, at work etc, alot easer, so i was wondering, how does everyone compare them to normal books,

also what kind of thing do i need to be able get something to read them.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    I'm not sure what you mean by palmtop but there are mainly two choices concerning PDAs: Palm and PocketPC. Both are very popular for reading ebooks. I have a pocketPC. The most I'll read is about an hour because my batteries will only last about 2.5 hours per charge. I can buy bigger batteries, which will give me about 10 hrs. But it's really a miniPC so I can listen to mp3s, write letters, play games, etc. But I can also read Adobe PDF files, MS-Word/Excel/PWRPnt files, MS-Reader files, and I can buy bestsellers books in ADOBE Reader or MS-Reader format as well as audiobooks.

www.brighthand.com is a website that cater to both Palm and PocketPC PDAs. It's a good place to learn about PDAs.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    so im guessing i would also need to get a memory card to store them on?

what about this? http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/p...?quicklinx=25BT

4. Lounge   -   #4
    I have found the palm zire 21 to be an exceptional tool for ebooks, and the best part? it is currently in the under $100.00 range!

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    so if i got that, what else would i need to be able to read ebooks on it, and store a few on it too

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Originally posted by Livy@25 November 2003 - 16:09
    so if i got that, what else would i need to be able to read ebooks on it, and store a few on it too
    It comes with the reader software in the package. It also comes with 8 megs of memory (7.2 actual storage) so you can keep several books at any given time in it.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Tasty+25 November 2003 - 19:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tasty &#064; 25 November 2003 - 19:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@25 November 2003 - 16:09
    It comes with the reader software in the package. It also comes with 8 megs of memory (7.2 actual storage) so you can keep several books at any given time in it. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m interested in getting something like that for myself.
    Do you know roughly how long the battery life is?
    Is it easy to use it for reading for long periods?

Has anyone got any other recommendations, preferably in that price range.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    The battery usually lasts about 7 hours for me, and i never had any problems with reading it.