Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flawed Xvid Encodings

Why on earth do people encode with xvid. Every single xvid file I've seen has severe shortcomings in audio/video synch. We're talking about everything from 2000-13600ms, thats 13,6 seconds of offset sound! try watching anything like that!!
    I understand youre keen to use bleeding edge encoders, but please stick to divx as xvid is still shit.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by Luke Skywalker@24 November 2003 - 04:47
    Why on earth do people encode with xvid. Every single xvid file I've seen has severe shortcomings in audio/video synch. We're talking about everything from 2000-13600ms, thats 13,6 seconds of offset sound! try watching anything like that!!
    I understand youre keen to use bleeding edge encoders, but please stick to divx as xvid is still shit.
    No sync problem here. If every XviD movie is out of sync on your system, your XviD decoder is out dated. You need a more current update. You may not believe it but I've encoded more than 200 movies (about 150 using XviD) and XviD is superior to DivX. BTW, XviD is popular for a reason but you'll have to encode your own movies to find out.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    muchspl2
    yea no shit, xvid is best in allot of ways, bad frames cause sync problems not the codec, unless like stated you have a old&busted xvid codec

try running it through divx repair to remove bad frames and/or play it in http://www.videolan.org

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I agree with Luke. I've had more problems with XviD files than any other format. If possible I usually try to steer clear of them. Superior quality doesn't really matter to me anyway because I'm just going to convert it to mpeg and burn it, which will reduce the quality no matter what format it was in before. The problem is sometimes XviD files are difficult to convert. I prefer plain old DivX.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    muchspl2
    if you use the correct setting in tmpgenc to convert and you will never have any problems

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Thanks muchspl2. My settings were close to that, but they were a little different. I'll try it your way and see if it helps.

I think another part of the problem is the audio codec they use. I know I had a hell of a time converting one particular XviD movie, and it turned out it was because it used AC3, which TMPGEnc couldn't handle.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    muchspl2
    yea thats the hardest part is audio, video is a breeze, for ac3 save the audio as wave in virtual dub and use the wave or if you want to encode it even quicker, convert the wave to mp2 with besweet or goldwave then just encode the video in tmpgenc, then multiplex the video & your saved mp2

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Originally posted by muchspl2@24 November 2003 - 01:36
    convert the wave to mp2 with besweet
    That's what I had to do. Such a hassle though, sometimes I'm actually tempted to just go back to paying for movies.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    My codecs are up to date. I tried several.
    After checking out several xvid files they have a bad audio header with zilch compability for most players/codecs. Even virtualdub reports improper VBR audio encoding in every single xvid file.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    muchspl2
    its because of bad frames, thats what causes sync problems, and you should be able to play them in videolan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast