Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: "america's Ignorance Of The World Is Now A

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@26 November 2003 - 15:54
    as a true conservative pair should, but be warned...
    there is a liberal in your mist
          :'(

j/k
    :'(

NO!! NO!!!

Wait a minute-

In my mist?

That's okay, then.

That's where all the libs hang out.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #72
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    MediaSlayer, you must stop offering up waffleballs to j2.

No sense in making his odious task any easier.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #73
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    libs? that'a a slur sir!!!%$!@@#*

but i can live with that, since i can just call you umm... ermm..a rep.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #74
    Poster
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@26 November 2003 - 06:30
    The northwest is the unfortunate home to the traditonal stereotypical "yanks", complete with accents.

The only "yank accent" I've noticed is from people who migrated from the east coast or deep south.

That's the extreme Northwest mind you, it may be different closer to Oregon.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #75
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    that was a typo, balaam, and i edited the post. thanks for catching it.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #76
    Originally posted by j2k4+26 November 2003 - 18:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 26 November 2003 - 18:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@26 November 2003 - 13:11
    She has politics?

They aren&#39;t silicon, are they?
    No, they&#39;re conservative, and they stand up right proud, don&#39;t they? [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ve always wondered why American&#39;s call their political right wing "conservative". I mean you guys founded the country on the basis that everyone gets to be free and do whatever makes them happy. I know most of you guys believe in:

*Better working conditions
    *Laws to protect the environment
    *Gun laws based on favoring hunting weapons rather than fully automatic machine guns
    *A better universal medical system
    *Laws to help get rid of racial and sexual descrimination
    *Better control of the corporate sector to protect small investors and their savings (and 401k retirment plans), etc.

They are all your really traditional values (in Australia we have quaint term, "giving someone a fair go" and I&#39;ve never heard it said anywhere else).

So why do you call yourselves conservative? I know I don&#39;t mind paying higher taxes if it really does improve the society I live in, although my current government is right wing and they are the highest taxing government in our history - but have managed to significantly reduce services and protection for the community.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #77
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I&#39;ve heard "giving someone a fair go" before.

It&#39;s an unfortunate circumstance that the ideals and the reality really don&#39;t mesh.

Edit: Oh, and as for taxes, I pay ridiculous amounts in taxes, and still don&#39;t see any "good" come of it. I have, however, managed to have a lengthy correspondance with the government offices because they don&#39;t know how to communicate with each other.

14% tax on eggs...and they can&#39;t even afford a telephone...
    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #78
    Originally posted by j2k4@26 November 2003 - 17:34
    There is a bit of truth in what everyone has said about the US&#39;s "geographic demographic", but I think it can be more easily understood by breaking it down into an urban/suburban/rural construct.

Toss the accents, which don&#39;t mean anything.

Go from the urban, where such things as "tradition" are "quaint" or "quirky" through suburbia, out to the rural, where tradition is "everything".

Go from the urban, where continued "enlightenment" is the rule, again out through suburbia to the rural, where enlightenment is "urban".

Exceptions exist, of course, but there&#39;re your delineations, culturally and otherwise.
    A rather crude assessment, but still probably the best way to break it down. I was thinking something very similar myself, but did not include before because my post was too long anyway.

If you were blindfolded and placed randomly in America and were allow 1 piece of information, which state you were in would be least useful.

Urban- Keep you head down, wallet hidden and don&#39;t ask to join into the next pick-up basketball game.

Suburban
    - No problems. Go to the mall for a slice of pizza. You will find people there who will hold doors open for you and tell you to have a nice day.

Rural- Watch your pooper, but marry your sister if you want.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #79
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by hobbes@27 November 2003 - 04:25
    ...If you were blindfolded and placed randomly in America and were allow 1 piece of information, which state you were in would be least useful...
    Unless you were trying to get home.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. The Drawing Room   -   #80
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Alex H+26 November 2003 - 19:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alex H &#064; 26 November 2003 - 19:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by j2k4@26 November 2003 - 18:14
    <!--QuoteBegin-clocker
    @26 November 2003 - 13:11
    She has politics?

They aren&#39;t silicon, are they?

No, they&#39;re conservative, and they stand up right proud, don&#39;t they?
    I&#39;ve always wondered why American&#39;s call their political right wing "conservative". I mean you guys founded the country on the basis that everyone gets to be free and do whatever makes them happy. I know most of you guys believe in:

*Better working conditions
    *Laws to protect the environment
    *Gun laws based on favoring hunting weapons rather than fully automatic machine guns
    *A better universal medical system
    *Laws to help get rid of racial and sexual descrimination
    *Better control of the corporate sector to protect small investors and their savings (and 401k retirment plans), etc.

They are all your really traditional values (in Australia we have quaint term, "giving someone a fair go" and I&#39;ve never heard it said anywhere else).

So why do you call yourselves conservative? I know I don&#39;t mind paying higher taxes if it really does improve the society I live in, although my current government is right wing and they are the highest taxing government in our history - but have managed to significantly reduce services and protection for the community.[/b][/quote]
    The political differences are a bit more profound than you think, Alex H.

Your understanding of what a conservative would consider "traditional values" would indicate you are a bit behind the curve, if you&#39;ll excuse my saying it that way.

Rather than go into all that here, though, I can only resort to urging you to run a search-while I&#39;m not the only conservative here (there is one other one, young kAb-a good man) I think others would agree I am the most prolific.

So, since I&#39;m feeling really lazy, if you want to find out what this conservative is about, run a search and do some reading.

I know, I know.

Never mind.

Just ask the others here-I&#39;m sure they&#39;ll tell you about me and my politics.

Seriously-

Just stick around-things will clarify themselves soon enough.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast