Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies that made us cry

Forrest Gump

2. Movies & TV   -   #72
    Poster
    It's an anime, but A Silent Voice is p sad.

3. Movies & TV   -   #73
    Poster
    Too many movies to list.

4. Movies & TV   -   #74
    Quote Originally Posted by FDL1 View Post
    It's an anime, but A Silent Voice is p sad.
    I watched it last year, and here's the review I posted on another forum.

A story about an elementary school boy whose class receives a deaf girl as a transfer student. Creeped out by her use of a notebook to communicate with others and her politeness, he bullies her to the point she's forced to change schools again, and becomes hated by everyone for it, even his fellow bullies. Five years later, tormented by this past, he makes it his mission to find her again and make amends for his mistakes, also reconnecting with other former classmates in the process.

It's a pretty powerful story, but it had some shortcomings. Firstly, the deaf girl pretty much gets treated as a one-dimensional doormat, whose only purpose is to keep the plot going. Secondly, the protagonist is supposed to be a really anxious high school boy who is hated by everyone for being a former bully, yet somehow he ends up visiting an amusement park with a large group of friends halfway through the movie. Finally, the ending felt rushed and somewhat ambiguous. Did he succeed or not? His relations with the girl improved, but he's unable to enter his own classroom or look anyone in the eye during the school festival, and some of his friends/classmates still seem to resent him.

The piano-centric soundtrack did a good job setting the mood, but was otherwise forgettable, except for the songs that play when Shoko is introduced, during the train trip, and the credits roll.

7/10.
    Apparently these rough edges come from the adaptation and the source manga is much better, but I haven't read it yet. Speaking of which, I'm eagerly waiting for the Voices of a Distant Star novelization that came out last month to be uploaded on any pirate sites
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Movies & TV   -   #75
    My girl

6. Movies & TV   -   #76
    return of the jedi, grave of the fireflies, others i cant recall

7. Movies & TV   -   #77
    I get mocked at home for shedding a tear to Men in Black

8. Movies & TV   -   #78
    I have to say End Game made me glassy eyed. The end of an era

9. Movies & TV   -   #79
    Forest Gump.

I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is.......

End Game

Fat Thor........
    Last edited by judy_vng; 08-31-2019 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Movies & TV   -   #80
    Quote Originally Posted by sinew23 View Post
    I have to say End Game made me glassy eyed. The end of an era
    Don't worry. As long as superhero movies remain moneymaking machines, Hollywood isn't going to end that game
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast