Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Is Overclocking?

Poster
    I'm pretty dumb at this, what exactly is overclocking? Can it harm my system if done to an extreme extent or can it greatly improve performance?

For instance, If I have a Geforce 4 MX440 and I overclocked it, would it perform better than now?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    No need to be "dumb" its a bit of either it can cause problems if you go too far it will put the temp' up for sure so cooling is a must i have one and don't see that much diff',just make sure you read about overclocking the card or machine before you go for it there are other topics on here about this do a search for them.
    I bet its a game your trying to get to work better.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Not specifically a game, just overall performance.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    It "might" help but the one I have is well in one word "crap" don't think much of them at all don't know why I bothered besides the price,will be looking for something else later ,the mx200 was as bad couldn't even run Soldier of Fortune 2 fast enough and thats was a 64 megger this one can must be the ddr memory.
    What do you mean by "overall".

Try here http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/

Or if you didn't know http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    I have the same card as you ever so slightly clocked, via software

As you can see, not to extreme standards, but it definatly gave me a little boost in terms of games, what i would reccomend is to be very careful, as overclocked electronics tend to create a lot of heat, which can cause them to fail, warp or crack

Plus, check for bottlenecks in your system, parts which are slower than the rest which may be holding the pc back, replacing them would be a much better idea than overclocking the system to breaking point

hope ive been of help

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Vamp@24 November 2003 - 04:15
    I'm pretty dumb at this, what exactly is overclocking? Can it harm my system if done to an extreme extent or can it greatly improve performance?

For instance, If I have a Geforce 4 MX440 and I overclocked it, would it perform better than now?
    Overclocking is the act (art?) of making a system operate at a higher level of performance than intended by the manufacturer.

Yes, it can harm your system.

"Greatly improve"? Probably not.

Yes, your GForce can be made to perform better, the question is, would you notice it.

Do you already have the latest, greatest drivers?

Do you know what your current level of performance is and how that compares to other similar setups?

Find yourself a copy of 3D Mark 2001 and run it. You can then go online and compare your scores to others. Then you'll know how much, if any, room for improvement you may have.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by cwctv@24 November 2003 - 06:40
    No need to be "dumb" its a bit of either it can cause problems if you go too far it will put the temp' up for sure so cooling is a must i have one and don't see that much diff',just make sure you read about overclocking the card or machine before you go for it there are other topics on here about this do a search for them.
    I bet its a game your trying to get to work better.
    whoa, check my temps. u call that high? they were exactly the same b4 i oced.
    ps: its in my sig

and @clocker:
    yes, it can damage ur pc, but it can also raise ur benchmark scores with just .2ghz of a increase. not bad, and no probs for almost 3 months now.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@24 November 2003 - 07:40

yes, it can damage ur pc, but it can also raise ur benchmark scores with just .2ghz of a increase. not bad, and no probs for almost 3 months now.
    Abu, I have no doubt.

The question is, can a slight rise in benchmark scores be detected in real life applications?

That is up to each person to determine.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by clocker+24 November 2003 - 09:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 24 November 2003 - 09:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@24 November 2003 - 07:40

Abu, I have no doubt.

The question is, can a slight rise in benchmark scores be detected in real life applications?

That is up to each person to determine. [/b][/quote]
    well, not much, but i do notice some speed increase in some games and a lot in video encoding.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I got a PS2..thats where i play games, I dont play games on my comp at ALL hardly..unless i can download one that actually works and i like...only one so far is max payne and it works good on my system. So if i had a 2500 and made it run at 2200 (equivalant to a 3200XP) would I see a difference in opening programs and running kazaa and stuff? I mean ive heard you wont..but then whats the point of buying the 3200??
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast