Page 98 of 100 FirstFirst ... 48889596979899100 LastLast

Thread: BitTorrent Trackers DOWN or BACK UP

BCG appears to be down again.

Damn ddos script kiddy bastards have nothing better to do than take down such an awesome and useful site.

I hope this is over quicker than last time...

2. BitTorrent   -   #972
    Sparx's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    BCG down again?

3. BitTorrent   -   #973
    pjcnet's Avatar BCG Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
    BCG down again?
    Unfortunately I can confirm it's caused by yet another DDoS attack. I hoped we would only be null routed by the host for an hour or two this time for it to pass, but over 5 hours on so far it doesn't look like they're going to leave us alone so quickly. We can only sit this out again until it does eventually pass, hopefully we won't be down too long this time, but nothing is guaranteed with these relentless attacks I'm sorry to say.

4. BitTorrent   -   #974
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Are these "bedroom kiddies" ddos attacks on the trackers by disgruntled ex-members or other sites jealous of the success etc, or something more sinister by those with money & power?
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #975

6. BitTorrent   -   #976
    Whimpy's Avatar Patty Buster
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    Are these "bedroom kiddies" ddos attacks on the trackers by disgruntled ex-members or other sites jealous of the success etc, or something more sinister by those with money & power?
    My thoughts exactly!
    "There is no good, there is no evil. There is only flesh, and the patterns to which we submit it."

7. BitTorrent   -   #977
    It's pretty clever how they manage to combine a protocol feature like that (designed when security was much less relevant or a non-issue) with IP spoofing to lure third parties into carrying over the actual heavy traffic.

Reminds me of that 2007 DDoS that used BitTorrent as an attack vector by injecting a fake announce URL pointing to the victim, and I believe a DHT bootstrap IP, into popular torrents. The result: dozens of thousands of clients constantly and silently hammering this "tracker". Those downloading would notice nothing, because the files themselves were legitimate.

In both cases the attacker uses very little bandwidth himself, but brings the target to its knees.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

8. BitTorrent   -   #978
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    That's what yer mum called me before I unleashed my Low Orbiting Canon on her.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. BitTorrent   -   #979
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    That's what yer mum called me before I unleashed my Low Orbiting Canon on her.
    That would have been quite something, she's been dead for quite a few years now, funny how one persons humour is another persons not so funny moment.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

10. BitTorrent   -   #980
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Did I say "mum"? I meant yer hawt cousin.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.