Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peer-To-Peer: Is it really dead...

Poster
    yes now the majority of people on the internet only connect using one device: their phone. Running p2p on a phone is not convenient and streaming is taking over.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by 2501 View Post
    yes now the majority of people on the internet only connect using one device: their phone. Running p2p on a phone is not convenient and streaming is taking over.
    This isn't a catch-all explanation. In my country, the best mobile plans have a 10 GB cap and are super-expensive (and the dirt on the floor is apparently worth more than prepaid customers, to the point the government introduced a price-controlled prepaid plan so that they would stop getting ripped off). Nonetheless, P2P usage is still decreasing. I would think it's because Netflix and Spotify are pretty cheap and you don't have to think too much to use them.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    It's not gone, but it definitely niche-fied and went underground. Not darknet underground, just not exactly easily accessible or knowable, if they weren't already before. Most of the first generation of private sites have members who, if they haven't dropped out of the ranks, are at an where their technical and sometimes legal expertise can and are being used to protect these sites as they've really become more communities as well. The focus is shifting though. Yes, internal rippers still exist, but they can't outpace the scene still, so it's back to the old school system of rare and overlooked stuff on most fronts, quality and quantity but more quality than anything else, but most of all technology is at a position where there are enough cheap seedboxes and actual VPNs and SSH tunnels (full disclosure: I may be involved in many of those aforementioned scenes, but they are all backed by observations and surveying the landscape) to allow content to remain accessible and they have become repositories. It's not the wild west anymore... as much at least.

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by roobens View Post
    It's not gone, but it definitely niche-fied and went underground. Not darknet underground, just not exactly easily accessible or knowable, if they weren't already before.
    You can still buy an IPT invite with some upload credit for $20, though
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    I can't even imagine using my phone for P2P. I don't even use it for stuff like Netflix. To me, it's just too small of a screen for that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123