Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current State of Usenet Server Plants

shaina's Avatar Poster
    Beck38...

Sounds good.... Be appreciated to give a word every once and a while on Newshosting and how the download retention is..

I am going to stick with the Netherlands provider and see how it goes for the next few months (suspended Giga for the max 2 months), and suck up the speed issue for full downloads and no fixing with pars...

Thanks again Beck38 and keep in touch

Shay

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Beck38
    but Astra seems to take several minutes (sometimes as long as 30+)
    That's strange . Mine get verified within 1+ minute(s) depending on the upload size. But I start verification process manually after everything is uploaded

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Of course, I was talking about JBinUp, where Astra seems to take the 30+ minutes to 'verify' an uploaded part. It would, of course, be linked as to how fast the upload was, and mine are in the 10Mb/s range so it's running pretty fast. Giganews (and others) are much faster in verifying the parts exist.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    They'e farms not plants.Can we at least keep our ghey internet terms straight.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Of course, I was talking about JBinUp, where Astra seems to take the 30+ minutes to 'verify' an uploaded part. It would, of course, be linked as to how fast the upload was, and mine are in the 10Mb/s range so it's running pretty fast. Giganews (and others) are much faster in verifying the parts exist.
    I use Jbinup too. I upload at ~25MB via my block AW account and then I activate unlimited account (less connections) and verify all at once. Maybe it got better, I dunno

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    @Beck38 - this post has been linked over at r/usenet.

Receiving a few comments from the teenies, and the 'I can't be arsed to Search, so i'll ask the same question over and over again' brigade!

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Thanks for all the info Beck38. I really appreciate all the research you put into comparing all the different providers. I switched to usenetserver with a couple nl block accounts close to 2 years ago based on some info you posted back then and have been mostly satisfied outside of a few takedowns I couldn't get around here and there.

I used to use newshosting many years ago but left when their pricing couldn't compete with astraweb for the same level of service. It looks like it's come down quite a bit since then and I wouldn't mind giving them a try again. How do you think they stack up against my current set-up?

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    flappy81
    So the consensus seems to be that Highwinds is the way to go right now.
    Well, coming from Supernews and looking for a similar alternative, what would be the best provider price- ($10/mo) and speedwise (100+ mb/s)?
    And EU servers is a must for me as well.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by flappy81 View Post
    So the consensus seems to be that Highwinds is the way to go right now.
    Well, coming from Supernews and looking for a similar alternative, what would be the best provider price- ($10/mo) and speedwise (100+ mb/s)?
    And EU servers is a must for me as well.
    Do your own research without relying on others to do it for you - One provider will be great for one but not someone else.

Or if you are really stuck? This question is asked and answered 6 million times a day on r/usenet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12