Thread: Cannot Get To Windows

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I recently bought a win 95 pc. However I still have not gotten past the 1st screen...I cannot find or figure out either the DOS command that connects to the list of DOS commands or the one that connects to Windows. How do I get onto Windows?
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sounds like you bought a pc with no OS installed

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker@24 November 2003 - 15:56
    sounds like you bought a pc with no OS installed
    ill second that....

Get a Windows CD then set your BIOS to read from CD-ROM first and SAVE and EXIT bios then load the PC up with the windows cd in drive and windows should start to install.

If you dont have an OS cd then ya fucked. and if it wont let ya in the BIOS you are gonna wanna hope the drives are set to Read From CD-Rom first or hope its on default A:\ first. if so you'll need a win95/98 floppy boot disc with CD-Rom support.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    You mean it goes to a black screen with C:\ on it ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by 99shassan@24 November 2003 - 15:19
    I recently bought a win 95 pc. However I still have not gotten past the 1st screen...I cannot find or figure out either the DOS command that connects to the list of DOS commands or the one that connects to Windows. How do I get onto Windows?
    If its windows 95 then its old and used and maybe alot of corruption. try hitting F8 or Delete in some PCs to get it to start in safe Mode. then do a scan disk and defrag and install a good utilities program and clean house

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    If all you have is a black screen and a c:\ prompt then try typing in the word dir or dir/s. This will hopefully give you a list of files/directories on it. Obviously the 1 of interst is if their is a directory called windows. If not its as earlier replies suggest. Do a complete format and start from scratch.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by 99shassan@24 November 2003 - 09:19
    If you are in DOS and have a working command prompt, then typing exit or win might boot up Windows, if it is installed and working properly. If it doesn't do anything try typing dir to bring up the directory contents. There should be stuff listed like program files, Windows folder and several small files in your root directory (c. If you don't see that stuff in the directory you will most likely have to (re)install Windows.

However, the problem could be somewhere else too. Your Master Boot Record might be messed up or a sector on the hard disk maybe corrupt. We need more information to help you out.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    After I load win 98, it restart and it goes into dos. It tell me to type command interpret.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by 99shassan@25 November 2003 - 12:05
    After I load win 98, it restart and it goes into dos. It tell me to type command interpret.
    If you want help you must be a lot more informative....

Are you telling us you have Formatted the Drive and tried to install Win98 OS ??