Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can non-HD pics be converted to HD?

Poster
    Can non-HD pics be converted to HD? I have some non HD pics on my site which reviewers always rightly tell me need to be replaced with HD pics but one is of me in a uniform from many years ago and I have no uniforms anymore to take a new HD pic as I no longer get out in the field. Is there any way to convert my old pic of me in uniform to HD or something close to HD? Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Upscale + sharpen, of course
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Upscale + sharpen, of course
    Upscale + sharpen. Wow. Was that supposed to help? Ever considered specificity? Like the name of the photo editing software to use and what option(s)?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidK View Post
    Upscale + sharpen. Wow. Was that supposed to help?
    It's a common joke when someone asks this question

In short, you can't "make" what you'd call a high quality picture out of a low-resolution one. That only happens on CSI. I would try to find the original picture, assuming you still have it somewhere and it wasn't taken by a 0.3 MP camera phone or something similar.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    in one simple word: NO

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by atreus View Post
    in one simple word: NO
    Cool, thanks for the straight answer. I did notice on YouTube that my non-HD video was uploaded and displayed by someone else this time as an HD video. Guess video can be converted to HD but not pics...weird as video is a sequence of many pics.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidK View Post
    Cool, thanks for the straight answer. I did notice on YouTube that my non-HD video was uploaded and displayed by someone else this time as an HD video. Guess video can be converted to HD but not pics...weird as video is a sequence of many pics.
    You are asking a loaded question... Example, If you have a old photo/picture of family members (color not black and white), and you take it to a professional photographer known to edit and fill in colors, and charge you a arm and a leg, you sure can improve the quality of the photo..(I have done it many times on old family photos for special occasions)
    But trying it yourself .. No you can't (tried it with all different fancy software myself and it didn't even come close to what the photographer did, or maybe time and patience had something to do with it)..
    HD quality?? Using those words are loaded.. If you are happy with the finished product, i wouldn't care what it is called, as long as it is improved to your satisfaction, and you are happy with it..

If you live in Ontario Canada i can recommend a few photographers and they do a great job turning shit into gold...

PS. If you take a video that was not originally filmed in HD and you convert it ?? Do you really consider the finished product HD??
    Last edited by shaina; 11-23-2015 at 09:45 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    n00b
    No.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    whatcdfan's Avatar A.W.A BT Rep: +2
    Quality once lost from any digital media can't be retained. But you can alter the photos in such a way that wouldn't look weired upscaled. The most simplest of the techniques would be to first upscale the pic to your desired resolution then apply the blur ( there are many types of blurring , you have to select the one that suits your pic) and finally alter the "levels" There are numerous scripts for Photoshop/GIMP to remove noise from the image (blurring) with tons of different settings. You must have the patience to find the right combination of settings for the script you use which would be specific to your image.

Also, a non-HD movie can't be transcoded into an HD movie, you can't bend the laws of the physics.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    n00b
    Hi David. There are some photo editing softwares which promises to convert normal images to HD images like PicSizer and some online tools. Though I have never used it myself, still I wish it would be helpful for you.
    Good Luck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast