Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bogus Files

Originally posted by jackc@25 November 2003 - 09:22
    I have heard about this Bittorent from many ppl here. Can u pls tell me what is it exactly? Is it a P2P network like FastTrack, or is it something different? And if it is, what is the best/most popular client app available? (Like K-Lite is for FastTrack).

This Bittorent is good only for movies? I am asking this because K-Lite has been very satisfactory for me in general. My only problem until now has been the D/L of Matrix Revolutions which I am still seeking. When I requested the hash in the relevant forum, I was again advised to use BT.

Well, the questions were many, so thx in advance for your answers...
    If you want to learn about bit torrent, there's a beginner's tutorial HERE

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Thanks. But my other question hasn't been answered yet: Why use BT when K-Lite does the job? Is it better for movies, or what?

After all, all you ppl are also Kazaa users since you use this forum!

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Originally posted by jackc@25 November 2003 - 18:01
    Thanks. But my other question hasn't been answered yet: Why use BT when K-Lite does the job? Is it better for movies, or what?

After all, all you ppl are also Kazaa users since you use this forum!
    I personally feel that neither is better than the other. While with bittorrent you can feel safer knowing that what you are downloading is what it says it is, there could be few if any seeders spreading the full file, or many leechers using all the available bandwith if the movie is hot. But what if the movie has been out for a few weeks? the seeders of the movie will probably have moved on to the next movie of the moment, thereby making finding the movie you want difficult.

But Kazaa will have a larger selection at any given moment, it's just that not all files are named correctly. As long as you use common sense, you shouldn't really have to many problems. Plus it has the benifit of AVI preview, which as far as i know, you can't preview bittorrent files, but i could be wrong. Happened once before, and will probably happen again.

Another thing to consider, is that Bittorrent seems to be a hotbed of copyright infringemnet right now, as ISP's such as Comcast have been stepping up against it.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Well, the way Tasty put it, makes me feel that I'll stick to Kazaa...

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by Tasty@25 November 2003 - 13:11
    Another thing to consider, is that Bittorrent seems to be a hotbed of copyright infringemnet right now, as ISP's such as Comcast have been stepping up against it.
    Comcast has merely been TARGETED by MPAA and RIAA for users running BitTorrent on it -- it is the users doing the copyright infringement. It is NOT Comcast itself that's stepping up efforts against the users but rather 'outside forces'.

BitTorrent works by revealing many/most/all of the ips of everyone trying to get or have already gotten the single file (referred to as a torrent) that's being shared. This way, almost everyone can share the file (or file parts) until everyone who wants the file gets the file OR it becomes unshared by everyone. It makes for a handy list for ANTI copyright infringement groups such as RIAA/MPAA/BSA's hired goons (OverPeer, Patriot Media, Media Defender, BayTSP, etc) to use as 'evidence' -- they email that ip list (plus approximate times of occurance) to various ISPs demanding immediate release of private information concerning user names, locations, age, members of the household, and possibly any other information they deem 'relavant'.

And thanks to DMCA (in the USA anyway...), ISPs are FORCED TO COMPLY. No search warrent or judge is needed. And if RIAA/MPAA/BSA somehow miscopied the ips or times, they could be gaining this information about innocent people which they proceed to threaten, sue, and/or silence.

I and others are ATTEMPTING to find out who and where these 'monitoring bots' are. If we block their ip addresses and enough others do the same, we can (in theory) defeat their efforts.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    internet.news
    yep, sadly true.

If I found any malicious virus, my norton always put it into quarantine!

If search for Imesh you got many search result of Files with Name
    "Imesh", but only 300KB or 400KB... If you are looking for a file,
    also look on its size

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12