Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Takedowns - Why Are They Still Happening Despite Scrambled File Names

Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    Obfuscated names just slow down the DCMA. Really it is down to whom you use as a provider.
    Which is why a 'second step' is really needed (like RAR password encryption), just like password protection/authentication (i.e., username PLUS password or even more complex schemes).
    Is password encryption done here? Can't see posted passwords.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by batg View Post

Which is why a 'second step' is really needed (like RAR password encryption), just like password protection/authentication (i.e., username PLUS password or even more complex schemes).
    Is password encryption done here? Can't see posted passwords.
    Don't think it is.

For takedowns, maybe they used to look at header names, but do they now automatically download stuff, just the first part of the rar would do.

Would the password route just slow them own further, and would the extra hassle to downloaders be worth the effort. Whilst many news providers have long retention, how much of that is a factor for those who want stuff likely to be subject to takedowns. Currently its a battle of how quickly takedowns happen verses how quickly people can download

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Passwords would completely stop the takedowns, as they wouldn't know what they had. Without knowing what they're looking at, it's all gibberish.

Several if not all the private websites distribute the passwords to their users, and if someone 'leaks' that for use in a takedown, it can simply be posted again, although it's very rare.

All decent server plants stopped rolling off postings around Aug.08; I have postings going back that far (encrypted of course) that are still there with very little skips or fades, although I always post with 10%+ pars.

As far as a hassle, with the availability of netflix, it's a question. NF doesn't have everything, and a good percent is 'stripped' versions, movies only no extras. If the postings are something special, it's worth it.

Fyi, if you posted some more or set up your account so you had private messages enabled, more information might be forthcoming.
    Last edited by Beck38; 11-14-2017 at 03:39 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Usenet has been around a long time, well before torrents. I do remember around a decade ago there was a lot of US based servers and a few EU ones, though mostly non english, but it was a case of just picking up a few words to get by to use them. The argument then was there was a lack of legal routes for people to access programs that was fuelling the rise and the likes of Netflix definitely have filled that gap given quite a few people. I know a lot of the DVDR stuff used to be stripped because dual layer blanks were far more expensive, not sure if that is still the case (that stuff is put out in stripped versions to fit on single layer discs) since the push for higher resolution stuff.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    The cost analysis is or should be the driving force; high speed broadband is, for a good percentage of folks, pretty cheap and widely available (I live pretty deep into a rural area, but have access to the #1 us broadband company (was one of the reasons I moved there along with a low col). Consumables cost has radically changed in the last 5 years, DL 8GB dvd's are still expensive (SL 25GB BR are much cheaper ~60 cents) and DL BR got cheap enough 3+ years ago to forgo recoding (I buy 50GB in bulk at ~$1.60/ea), and BR burners and players are super cheap ($50-70) so there's no reason to stay with old dvd tech even if one is processing sd dvd's.

So it's really a supply problem. I tried out torrents years ago, but the hassle chasing content vr usenet just was too problematic. Not to say usenet doesn't have problems, but they can fairly easily circumvented.

So the last problem is one of source supply; there are only a couple of disc rental outfits, and the largest (nf of course) is a bit over-run with 'rental' versions and, with the supposed number of users down to 5 million nationwide, the supply of off-brand blurays (except for criterion which they still seem to get new releases regularly) is more than a bit lean.

One source that's proven pretty excellent (no stripped/rental versions and always full versions) has been dvdexpress kiosks, and the price is fair as well, $2 for br and you get a coupon for a 'twofer' where you get a free disc when renting another within a couple of days. Selection is limited to new releases, but it does work (I try to get the nf first and if it's a stripped version, go to the kiosk). There are also a couple of mailorder places still in existance that specialize in the discs nf used to have years ago but don't anymore, I use 3D Bluray Rental; cost is ~$3/disc and of course they ship from Chicago so figure 3-7 days usps time to get to you. But the selection, including 3D and 4K is supurb.

I 'process' some 6 discs a week, and that includes storing all my work in the usenet cloud. It all keeps me off the street.
    Last edited by Beck38; 11-15-2017 at 12:06 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    What really amazes me Beck38 (Nice to see you back by the way), is you speak of disk burning, disk burners, etc?? Really who does that today??
    Wouldn't you think the new and future path is purchasing External Hard Drives, Internal Hard Drives and actual streaming boxes??
    I mean if you really think about it and take an average home today, there investments in entertainment would consists of a Smart TV and some sort of even a gaming machine (Xbox, PS4, Wii etc), any one of those turns your house into a multi media bonanza. And when it comes to costs and lets even add space not having disks and crap all over much more efficient and really cost effective today.
    And one of your comment today makes sense considering the lowest grade of retail movies today sold are DVD's for the people that lack any streaming purchases they may have in a household (small amount today), but i would have to say the goal in the majority of households, there goal would be to have more streaming, be it internal or external (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc). Too be honest i don't have one single Blu ray player in my house, unless you count game consoles, and if you look at most Blu ray (4k) players sold they all have streaming capabilities, and again removes clutter and searching from room to room looking for disks, with streaming abilities...
    Connecting your pc or laptop via HDMI, considering that would be a standard today on a tv be it smart or not?? or a cheap conversion connection can be purchased as well, add a few purchased hard drives and bingo you now have a internal entertainment streaming house hold right??
    Any type of disks even for pirating Game Consoles was eliminated by adding external hard drives, cheap, fast and easy to store in small spaces...

And really regardless if you use Torrents, Usenet, IRC, or Direct Download sites, you want full BD50's or 4k movies untouched, they are out there to download, purchased or whatever Who really burns them onto blank disks today for home use?? What with a chance of making frisbee burnt disks,Plus the majority of people don't even want to download 80gig (or bigger)copies of anything or you wouldn't see so many downsized versions (MKV conversions) posted and floating around everywhere, you have people that love a great picture and lack any type of true surround sound system, so downloading 80gigs of true blu ray or 4k movie is not going to make any ones experience of watching the movie or TV show any better, considering a lot of that space is for the soundtracks..

You take game consoles... They are now pushing and motivating for game or whatever purchases over the net, they are putting way bigger hard drives in the consoles and promoting it big time, even take "Steam" for PC game purchases, eliminating disks completely, I mean who even stores work related things on a disk?? Again you are right either a cloud base or some sort of Ext Hard Drive..

And saying there is a shortage or hassle finding content out there?? I would have to think you are looking in the wrong places and maybe using the wrong providers getting it??
    Legally or not, especially a guy that says his stuff stays on the net without getting take-downs?? Believe me you are not the only one gifted with that buddy, It's out there and most of the time very easy to get, and usually at a very little or low cost for everyone, that is if you using the "NOT" way, and most households have the tools, because it is used in every day life today (internet, pc/laptop, etc..)....

The Past is the Past, welcome to the 21st century at least

Just my thoughts Beck38, and again nice to see you around.....

Edit: I should add you can use/purchase a Raspberry Pi for a very low cost to stream and or play games today as well (For you Gribley).....
    Last edited by shaina; 11-15-2017 at 02:59 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    I have 150+TB of nas, that gives me ~4000 blurays; I have over 8K on disc, at 1/3rd the price. And those nas drives are a continual expense, 30 hds means I get one failure every 6 months (all arrays are raid 6 ), not to mention power bill.

Physical media is, ultimately, unlimited. If your aim is low, online storage is doable; once you expand beyond that, inless you decide to spend all your spare cash to continually expand it, you'll eventually go back to the drawing board or go broke.

Fyi, I use Ritek bd50's and get <1% bad burns (1 disc out of 100).

Now, tell me how much it will cost to store 12k worth of 50GB blurays, that will run to 600TB of storage, don't forget some protection. Cost with physical media would be close to $20k; just off the top of my head building 600TB of a raid array would come to $120k, or 100k more.

Btw, all my streaming boxes are pch (popcorn hour or cloud media, new name, cost new were about 2-300 each. Suburb mkv playback as well as bluray folders. Understand that it's been good to go since 2002, back before anything like raspberry pi was even on anyones dreams.

Sure, online is pretty instant, but ultimately limited. I've had to revise my thinking several times as I road on into the future, but this is what I ended up with.

You mention other sources of disc rentals, who?

I'll try and figure out how to post some pics of my storage arrays and such.

Streaming (from services like nf/hulu/amazon) is limited, and will remain so. Content owners don't give away their goods, and even taking all 3 of those aboveis a very thin selection of everything out of home video discs. I could do a study of what I have phisically and how much of it is available streaming, but they can't even keep the latest movies and tv on their systems (say the last 5 years). Do a test yourself, take a top flick and see who has it; it was there at some point, now gone completely.

I have it, complete and for the latest, perfect bit for bit with best audio and video. Anything less is a waste of time and effort.
    Last edited by Beck38; 11-16-2017 at 03:52 AM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    When do you have the time to watch 12,000 movies?

Let's assume 12-hour days watching, and an average of 2 hours per movie. That's five and half years of non-stop sitting in front of the TV. So if you retire at 65, congrats, you don't really have to make any plans for the rest of your life until you're 71. And that's if you stop accumulating while you're watching your collection.

I mean, I am a pack rat myself, and I am sure I have a lot of crap in my collection (though I've been weeding stuff out going from physical media to streaming), but I am not getting anywhere close to that. And I'm beyond "having just to have it" these days.

By the way, got a PCH 210 myself. Absolutely love the box, even after, what, five or six years?

Still don't see the need to upgrade.
    Last edited by Caballero; 11-16-2017 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post

Let's assume 12-hour days watching, and an average of 2 hours per movie. That's five and half years of non-stop sitting in front of the TV. So if you retire at 65, congrats, you don't really have to make any plans for the rest of your life until you're 71. And that's if you stop accumulating while you're watching your collection.

I mean, I am a pack rat myself, and I am sure I have a lot of crap in my collection (though I've been weeding stuff out going from physical media to streaming), but I am not getting anywhere close to that. And I'm beyond "having just to have it" these days.

By the way, got a PCH 210 myself. Absolutely love the box, even after, what, five or six years?

+1 He answered the question "how?" but the vastly more interesting one here is "why?"

I would say it's like stamps or baseball cards where the pursuit at some point often becomes of more importance than the acquisition.

Still I suppose if you honestly earned the money then you are honestly entitled to do whatever you want with it.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    +1 He answered the question "how?" but the vastly more interesting one here is "why?"
    I would say it's like stamps or baseball cards where the pursuit at some point often becomes of more importance than the acquisition.
    Still I suppose if you honestly earned the money then you are honestly entitled to do whatever you want with it.
    Your last sentence Idol... Beck38, his comments was based on saving money and having the best quality, which is fine, but now to play those best quality burnt blu rays, meaning purchasing audio and visual equipment to warrant having the best quality, the budget just went out the window!!. So forget having a collection of 8 thousand burnt disks (and of course 4 thousand on hard drives), that becomes mute..
    Use the example of a person that drives a half a million dollar Ferrari, and rents a basement apartment, his choice right
    To be honest, you could say different strokes for different folks, if Beck38, collects or watches all of those movies , and again is there tv shows involved in this collection or that was not added in to his numbers, i say good luck and enjoy..
    But if you take an average person, which he is way out of that statistic, most people are just not interested in being that anal about the copies they have because they didn't sped the tens of thousands in equipment to warrant the wasted hard drive space nor the clutter of having 8 thousand burnt disks all over your dwelling,
    And to really look at this.. Anyone that would have a collection like he is talking about, and then would have all fancy audio and visual equipment to get the full use out of a 4k or a BD50 rip, would not be burning blu rays, he or she would be buying all the original retail ones, and not looking to save a few bucks on burning crap, or as i said would have the setup to stream everything throughout the house, clean and no clutter....

Going back to the actual Tread.....
    There are tons of BD50 and 4k rips on torrents or usenet or direct downloads ,that are there and easy to get, depending on your provider or your sources that will make a difference, but they are out there and can be accessed, that was my whole point..

Again just my opinion, right or wrong...

You mention other sources of disc rentals, who?
    I have it, complete and for the latest, perfect bit for bit with best audio and video. Anything less is a waste of time and effort.
    I didn't mention anything about movie rentals? I was meaning purchasing either online/retail or torents/usenet etc..

I would say when you speak or explain things Beck38 you are not really including the average person, you are speaking of a very small amount of people.
    I really hope you watch and enjoy your collection, and how you choose to store it..
    I can tell you i have thrown out or gave away hundreds and hundreds of old dual layer disks and standard dvd disks, and gone straight to streaming throughout my household, is the quality i download all BD50 rips not a chance, but i do have a few movies i have on my server that are and they are usually action movies that i think warrant to have the best sound and picture, Do you notice a difference between your Burnt Blu rays and streaming them?? And how are you streaming them to your TV's/Media boxes?? Plex?? UMS?? or some other way??, other than that i look for an average size MKV copy that has good sound and good picture quality (usually 5-15gigs). Now do i notice a difference?? There is no question there is comparing an Action movie for sure, but a drama or non action flick i really don't care.. It would be the same when i download a tv series, i don't download every Blu ray full 1080p or 4k (2160) rip for the same reason it makes no difference on the video equipment i own in most of my rooms that would share all the stuff on the server...
    And when it comes to NF/Hulu etc. i know they are always behind on the latest stuff unless it is there own exclusive shows or movies, and in the same it is not true 4k or even true 1080p broadcasting, but again for the average person out there, really who cares?? It is easy access anywhere for viewing on anything that connects to the internet and to me and i would think most people if it looks good and sounds good on what you have or can afford, that is great...

Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    So lets say i do have the time to watch that many movies?? Is there really that many movies i would want to waste my time or even be interested in watching?? The answer is NO!!!
    And having that many movies is not a pack rat that is more of a sickness, hoarder hobby right I had a stage like that Cabby when i got the kids Xbox360 and Wii hacked , and was downloading and burning every game that came out, and i was a bit frugal and just used a cd marker to put the name of the game on the disk, as opposed to printing out the original disk covers. So lets say i burnt 300 xbox360 games and bought cd album cases to store them, the bottom line is the kids may have played the truth 20 out of 300 , i still downloaded and burnt them anyways, was it stupid?? ya i look back and say it probably was, but i figured now once the game console is outdated and you ever want to go to a game made for system i got it
    That is now my excuse and i am sticking with it
    And really your comment on still happy with what equipment you have and i assume you don't download everything in true BD50 or 4k i would consider you an average person out there (Just as i feel i am).....

Edit: Thinking if i had to use time during a nice day outside, there is no fuckin way i would be sitting in the house watching movies, i will be in and out of a golf cart drinking having fun and hitting that little white fuckin ball with the least shots to get it in the hole
    Last edited by shaina; 11-16-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast