Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Takedowns - Why Are They Still Happening Despite Scrambled File Names

Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    I assume you don't use Plex or any streaming program to sort it out for you on the HD's??
    No, I don't like having my computer second-guess me

Oh well, i am doing all the work!! so i do it my way
    This
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

2. Newsgroups   -   #42
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    No, I don't like having my computer second-guess me
    Very good
    Last edited by shaina; 11-21-2017 at 08:31 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #43
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Plex only needs to be connected to the internet when you add stuff and it downloads the metadata and petty pictures. After that you can shut off your cable modem and stream your video internally using your wifi network. You only need internet for playback if you are away from your house and want to watch something on your phone or tablet.

4. Newsgroups   -   #44
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    Plex only needs to be connected to the internet when you add stuff and it downloads the metadata and petty pictures. After that you can shut off your cable modem and stream your video internally using your wifi network. You only need internet for playback if you are away from your house and want to watch something on your phone or tablet.
    So the data is picked up from them right?? what about some of the early releases we get that in theory shouldn't exists yet?? That make me a bit nervous for someone else to know..And if you were away your server has to be live to stream to tablets etc. and i i know you have to log on as well,that makes sense, it just makes me nervous that Plex goes through your drives to see what is on them...
    It was bad enough i was having a problem with one of my kids Xbox360's and i didn't even give any permission to access the hard drive and while i was talking to them on the phone they were making changes and going through the hard drive on the console
    Like i said i think it is great and better/ease in organizing your media, but i prefer to keep what i have internally not on the web. I can tell you i did at one time added the gif's manually for a while, but that didn't last Cabby

5. Newsgroups   -   #45
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Metadata is not picked up from Plex but from tvdb.com or The Movie Database. As Plex states on their website, they really don't give a sh!t about what you have in your library and do not log anything. I guess it's up to you whether you believe them or not, but 'd guess someone would have picked up on that over the years if it wasn't the case.

And early releases don't matter -- either the data exists on those other websites or it doesn't. It's not like IMDB only includes info for movies that have already been released on disc.

You're too paranoid in this case.

6. Newsgroups   -   #46
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Metadata is not picked up from Plex but from tvdb.com or The Movie Database. As Plex states on their website, they really don't give a sh!t about what you have in your library and do not log anything. I guess it's up to you whether you believe them or not, but 'd guess someone would have picked up on that over the years if it wasn't the case.
    And early releases don't matter -- either the data exists on those other websites or it doesn't. It's not like IMDB only includes info for movies that have already been released on disc.
    I read this Cabby, be it true or not still makes me wonder when it comes to 3rd party use of things....

Plex Privacy Issues and The Plan at Emby...

"We cannot tell the future but we do allow you to opt out of our statistics collection.

It is also worth noting that our statistics are very different from theirs. All we are doing is trying to see how many people are using which apps so that we can properly gauge their respective audiences and apply our resources accordingly.

The other guys collect a bunch of stuff about the media you are playing (not actually which media but metadata about it like its format, bitrate, etc.). We have never tracked or collected that and have no plans to."

Just saying, paranoid or not

7. Newsgroups   -   #47
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I was able to locate a rare photo of Beck38 explaining the importance and value of his massive collection to a passerby.

Hahahaha.... Sorry Meg, you sometimes crack me up to the point of blacking out! What a pearl!

#deathbylaughing #alienblackoutdeaththread #dungbeetlesimportance
    Last edited by Stehle; 11-25-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: 'nuff sad.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

8. Newsgroups   -   #48
    At the end of the day, i don't think its ever likely you'll get a knock on the door from a copper saying "We found out you were playing Thor Ragnorok on you're PLEX server so have come to arrest you".

They want to stop the source of the distribution and those involved in any profiteering. They would also have to prove that just because the file was called say "Thor: Ragnorok" that it was in fact that...i could name every movie on my Plex server to Ragnorok, it would show up on my Plex playback as that, when in fact I'm watching the latest Barbie cartoon film!

And back to the OP's point, it seems that Usenet is a current target at the moment of the copyright guys, with the takedown of SSL News / Town.ag and associated websites, it looks like usenet has poked it's head up above the wall and is being actively targeted. It will trail off at some point like it has done in the past, new forums will pop up, new new usenet groups will be utilised and even more obfuscation will happen. It's always a game of cat and mouse.

Seems that only recently we've lost the a.b.moovee and a.b.teevee efnet irc groups, well they've probably swapped to something else that they are not letting people know about yet. But they've shut up shop probably to make it harder to find the releases.

WK
    (Ex-FST Crew)

9. Newsgroups   -   #49
    Gangorn
    Quote Originally Posted by witchking42 View Post
    At the end of the day, i don't think its ever likely you'll get a knock on the door from a copper saying "We found out you were playing Thor Ragnorok on you're PLEX server so have come to arrest you".

They want to stop the source of the distribution and those involved in any profiteering. They would also have to prove that just because the file was called say "Thor: Ragnorok" that it was in fact that...i could name every movie on my Plex server to Ragnorok, it would show up on my Plex playback as that, when in fact I'm watching the latest Barbie cartoon film!

And back to the OP's point, it seems that Usenet is a current target at the moment of the copyright guys, with the takedown of SSL News / Town.ag and associated websites, it looks like usenet has poked it's head up above the wall and is being actively targeted. It will trail off at some point like it has done in the past, new forums will pop up, new new usenet groups will be utilised and even more obfuscation will happen. It's always a game of cat and mouse.

Seems that only recently we've lost the a.b.moovee and a.b.teevee efnet irc groups, well they've probably swapped to something else that they are not letting people know about yet. But they've shut up shop probably to make it harder to find the releases.

WK
    (Ex-FST Crew)

This is a huge loss. There's so much preDB stuff already that's nowhere to be found since they shut down

10. Newsgroups   -   #50
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    I read this Cabby, be it true or not still makes me wonder when it comes to 3rd party use of things....

Plex Privacy Issues and The Plan at Emby...

"We cannot tell the future but we do allow you to opt out of our statistics collection.

It is also worth noting that our statistics are very different from theirs. All we are doing is trying to see how many people are using which apps so that we can properly gauge their respective audiences and apply our resources accordingly.

The other guys collect a bunch of stuff about the media you are playing (not actually which media but metadata about it like its format, bitrate, etc.). We have never tracked or collected that and have no plans to."

Just saying, paranoid or not
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you"

It depends if you are someone who wants to stay under the radar by not overly exposing yourself

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast