Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is A 25-30 Minute Gym Workout, 3 Times A Week Good

Poster
    Last year December I used to be rather large... 90KG (198)

Over the last year I've been going to gym doing strictly cardio workouts, I'm not into weight-training or things like that.when I was trying to lose weight, I'd go on a execycle for about 50 minutes, on level 1 (out of 12) which is basically the equivalent of cycling on a straight road. About 2 months ago I reached my goal of 141 pounds (64 KG) But by then I had toned down my workout to around 25-30 minutes at level 3 - 4

I'm now doing 25-30 minutes at level 4-6, which is bacially the same as riding uphill and now weigh 60 KG (132lbs) which is bordering the line of being underweight according to my BMI, although I have a naturally medium-big, broad-shouldered build...

I'm basically going to gym now to keep my weight stable, but I seem to be losing weight faster now, which is an added bonus. I don't eat any junk food and eat lots of fruit, drink lots of fruit juice and basically eat right.

I consider myself pretty fit now, I can walk long distances with friends whose fitness I used to hold in high-regard, and still be going strong while they're huffing and puffin'

I can also do a 1 1/2 hour Ninjutsu class without breaking a sweat.

Should I carry on doing Gym at this method or push up the time, because it's almost Summer holidays here in South Africa, I'll probably go 4 times a week?

I'm 15, and am around 5'6... Last year I was 5.4 or so... OBESE!!!!

My BMI is now 21... But as I said, I have a naturally big build, as all the guys in my family have, so I'll never actually be stick thin, but I'm thin enough now that you can tap on my jutting out hip bones and hear a pleasent thocking sound
    Believe it or not, I'd prefer to be lanky than muscularly defined, although I am semi-defined because of my natural build... I get freaked out if I see that I've gained weight even if it is muscle mass... It's a phobia of mine, and I know it's stupid... But it bugs me...

Now, this dilema is really bugging me.... Please read and give feedback on this... I'm terrified!

I'm going to camp for 20 days on December the ninth, so I wont be able to go to gym for those 20 days... So I'm terrified of gaining weight! But I'll be jogging on the beach for around 30-45 minutes every day... And there will be very balanced meals served... Apparently most people lose weight at camp because of the lack of junk food and the fact that there're activities such as volleyball, soccer, beach time, hikes and stuff... Think that there's a very low chance of gaining weight at a camp for 20 days with no conventional gym just natural exercise and healthy food?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    I read all of that
    I thought the answer to your question would be obvious.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    They aren't to me... I need some advice and opinions... I'm bordering on becoming Anorexic
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Vamp@24 November 2003 - 21:40
    They aren't to me... I need some advice and opinions... I'm bordering on becoming Anorexic
    So you want to know if you will put on weight by jogging for 35-40 minutes a day, eating a balanced diet and taking part in a variety of activities such as such as volleyball, soccer, beach time and hikes.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    What a self indulgent thread.

Seriously though, well done for losing the weight. Good for you!!

I think that you should pay serious attention to your fitness/diet regime, so as not to continue losing weight. Yes, by all means continue to exercise, if not to lose weight then for cardio vascular fitness, but consider that having lost your excess weight, you will now need to increase your calorific intake. Also, having lost so much weight, consult your GP/Doctor/Physician for a check up.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Personally I am an exponent of furious wanking!!! The pounds just drop off!

And me has a mighty meaty handshake too!!
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Mr Hand&#39;s Busy Right Now&#33; So Talk To Mr FOOKIN FINGER&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</span></span>

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Thanks Man &#33;

I&#39;m already very psycholoically damaged from it all... I&#39;m trying to get over it myself, I&#39;m not anorexic, but I&#39;m like Nicholas Cage&#39;s character in Matchstick Men... I have obsessive compulsive disorder regarding my weight, I&#39;ll spend hours looking in a mirror to make sure my stomach is totally flat and that I havn&#39;t gained any fat... I have to do this like 5 times a day... But I&#39;m slowly working over it... I&#39;m not sure how much body fat I have, but I can only feel loose skin on my body...

Callum, I&#39;m asking you if that&#39;s a good enough substitue for gym...
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    If you don&#39;t want to drop any exercise in the danger of becoming obese again, why not substitute some of your CV routine with some weight exercise?

As you said, you don&#39;t really like it - So take about 5 minutes out of each extensive CV activity (roughly those that are longer than 15 minutes) and use that spare time doing some weight exercise machines for about 5-10-15 minutes (depending on how much you think is enough). As it goes on, keep shortening the CV and increasing the weight work until you find a great balance between the two. The result should be that the fat should stay off for a while, and in the meantime you&#39;d be building your muscles up a bit more

I use to do that when I did exercise routines for a long while - Then the bloody borough council demo&#39;d the town&#39;s baths (which contained my regular gym) in July. Now the weight&#39;s come back on

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    I have quite a bit of loose skin, which, fortunatly is not repulsive, but it&#39;s there... When I run, or jump up and down, you can clearly see pronounced abdominal muscle definition, I&#39;m assuming this is from the situps I do some nights...

Because of the loose skin, will that definition never be fully visible, unless I&#39;m running or jumping, not just standing still, or will the more exercises I do, the more hardened the muscles will get and will eventually push against the loose skin and be visible all the time? They&#39;re pretty damn hard now, but there is a layer of loose skin over them...

Would doing exercises that will result in serious muscle definition make me gain weight? Whether or not it&#39;s muscle mass, I prefer seeing 60 KG when I step on a scale.

Also, about the camp question, will those camp activities and meals and beach-jogging be a good enough substitue for what I do at gym now, therefore meaning that I&#39;ll either lose weight, or stay the same weight I am now and the chances of gaining weight are very very very slim?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    At your age, you are still growing. You could be doing yourself more harm than good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast