Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say what? Sing what?

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Anyone that has had any interaction with me here on the board has done so only through the typed medium. What you wouldn't know is that my hearing is shit. I have no problem with the amplitude of the sounds reaching my ears but rather its clarity. It takes me an extended amount of time to get used to someone's particular accent and manner of speech. As a child, I used to say "What?" at a much higher average than anyone else around me. As I've aged, I've tuned myself to predict what someone is going to say before they say it in order to more predictably confirm what I have just heard, and I have developed the bad habit of finishing someone else's thoughts. However, the problem remains to a severe degree when communicating in other languages (I can speak pretty well in 3 languages—English, Serbian, and Spanish—and in a very limited capacity in 4 other languages—Russian, Greek, German, and Mandarin— and I'm currently working on getting to the limited in Japanese). I end up pretty proficient at speaking, writing, and reading in those other languages, but I'm unable to understand anything that anyone says in them even if I'm adept at the vocabulary they've used.

Despite the progress I make in communication, I'm always at a complete loss when it comes to music. However, I'm thinking I'm not alone in this venture. Instead of "revved up like a deuce", I hear "wrapped up like a douche"; instead of "lunatic fringe", I hear "let me take French"; instead of "living on a prayer", I hear "living on bread". So, does anyone else share the same misinterpretations of lyrics even when you know what the lyrics are supposed to be?
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    and don't get me started on Bjork

3. Lounge   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Besides both being middle-age black women, Whoopi Goldberg and I have this in common.

I had a friend though who went through life believing that "The first cut is the deepest" was " The first cock is the deepest" and couldn't understand how they allowed that on the radio.

True story and no one would correct him because,obviously.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    I also struggle with differentiating Bjork and Bjorn

so you can imagine my surprise when this didn't involve tennis, although to be fair it did inspire me to want to smash something in the worst way.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I have a similar issue with speech- I listen so far, then either make up my own ending or quit giving a fuck.

Works fine for most things except marriage or exams.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I had a friend though who went through life believing that "The first cut is the deepest" was " The first cock is the deepest" and couldn't understand how they allowed that on the radio.
    I only mentioned the one line from Manfred Mann, but I had the whole song wrong, especially:

Little early birdy gave my anus curly whirly

always threw me off with how a rim job got radio play.

2:50

Last edited by mjmacky; 03-22-2016 at 01:51 AM.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I have a similar issue with speech- I listen so far, then either make up my own ending or quit giving a fuck.

Works fine for most things except marriage or exams.
    Group conversations are the worst

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Are we doing fun facts? I'm fairly fluent in ASL. I had a deaf grandmother so I learned a lot growing up. I also took ASL for my foreign language college credits and ASL Linguistics classes for my Arts as well as Humanities electives. Back when I still had hourly employees I hired 3 deaf guys who worked with me for several years which allowed me use it and not lose it. I don't have an IPP certification or anything but I could definitely translate with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

My hearing is fine but lyrics are just tough sometimes. Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder are impossible for me.

yo

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

I only mentioned the one line from Manfred Mann, but I had the whole song wrong, especially:

Always hated Manfred Mann's version.

but then I always preferred Springsteen original to Patti Smith's.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    I can't even finish Springsteen's original version. In general, I am just not a fan of having Springsteen in my ears. This passionate fandom that he manages is completely lost on me. What am I missing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast