Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This Old House

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Garage shelving done. Anchored with angle iron up top. Sturdy as fk. I can climb the shelves to reach the top if needed.

Workbench coming in next.

Ix5uGJo.jpg

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Wow, it's really impressed me!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I wanted to document this project somewhere but I don't blog so... here we go.

About 6-7 weeks ago I mentioned somewhere that there was a leak in our kitchen. Our house was built in 1960 and the plumbing was done with copper. Copper is pretty reliable I've learned except for some corrosion/build up if your water has the right combination of minerals to cause such a thing. Here in Colorado I've learned, we have the opposite problem: our water is so clean that it will over time draw out certain minerals in the copper pipe and wear them away. Lucky me.

Since the broken pipe created quite a bit of damage, we decided that maybe this was the opportune time to upgrade the bland cabinets, countertops, and backsplash that came with the house. They aren't terrible but they're also nothing we would have ever picked out, so just never quite felt right. I had initially planned to allow a contractor in to do all the work. As it happens, while we had a restoration team in our house to do all the drying and mold mitigation, we had the cable company pierce our sewer line out in the street. Long story and a shit-ton of money later (we've made a claim and reimbursement should be obvious but going through the process is taking forever), we've decided to cut some costs and do a lot of the work on our own. (This really mean on my own but she says she'll help).

Here's the current situation:

Overall view of things. Place is a total fucking mess. Under the window is where the broken pipe was initially. All the plumbing was done by a professional. I did a small underground garden sprinkler system last summer and that's about the extent of my plumbing knowledge. This took almost 2 full days for a pro to complete as I wanted all the copper we could get to replaced. That meant from the kitchen to the basement to the roof venting.

IMG_1679.jpg

The wall was so saturated for so many days that there was some shifting that took place. It popped out the old backsplash and cracked the sheetrock. I cut out the nastiest part of the wood and inserted a piece of pressure treated wood to solidify the sill plate and put a metal shim in there as well. Pretty confident that isn't going to move again.

IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg

Over the coming weekends and evenings I'll be replacing the old subfloor and laying down flooring. Then cabinets, countertops are still being contracted out. Then finally backsplash. Updates to follow.

yo

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Got a bunch done this weekend. Pulled out all the old cheap backsplash and cabinets. Tile was trash. Sold cabinets and countertops on Craigslist for $500.

Some of the drywall in that area got cracked or peeled more than I was comfortable with leaving so I ended up cutting a lot of it out. Much better to replace it than to worry about it holding up later when doing the tile work at the very end. After the cabinets and countertop are in there no reasonable way to go backwards so best to just fix it all now.

uppers removed.jpg

uppers removed 2.jpg

Drywall almost done. My third time ever doing some sheet rock work. I still use excessive amounts of spackle but it's even so fk it. I've definitely gotten better with each try.

drywall 1.jpg

drywall 2.jpg

Done. Floors are starting to come out now as well. I needed to see how many sheets of plywood I'd need to buy.

drywall done.jpg

Next up is repairing the plywood in the subfloor. Found the old hardwood under here as well. It's practically black and is covered in a...something. Almost feels like wax but dirty at the same time. I'm wondering if someone years ago installed a glued down floor at some point. Anyways, three full sheets of OSB and a few small fillers and the floor repairs are done. Still need to demo the remaining old vinyl floors and prep for new flooring. Proper flooring planks should be here on Monday or Tuesday and some time after that I'll start the install so we'll have an actual finished floor and the first signs of a kitchen.

subfloor.jpg
    Last edited by Skiz; 07-20-2017 at 11:06 PM.

yo

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    That's coming along. You have already reached the point in the project where I usually quit, so congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quitting is not an option. Been without a kitchen for 2 months already. And living in a small-medium town, we’re downright fed up with eating at the same dozen restaurants. Flooring should arrive sometime tomorrow. I’ve never put down flooring. Should be interesting. Hoping I have no probs and it drops in pretty easily. If I can keep Murphy’s Law at a distance for one of these projects that would be great.
    Last edited by Skiz; 07-23-2017 at 02:46 AM.

yo

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I really enjoy seeing your project, skiz. I have some old cabinets (functional but not attractive) that I have been eyeing to replace since we bought the house. So much to do just to get through each day-- never enough time, money, or energy. The steps you are taking are exactly what I will have ahead of me. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    . Flooring should arrive sometime tomorrow. I’ve never put down flooring. Should be interesting. Hoping I have no probs and it drops in pretty easily.
    Seriously, dewd how difficult could it be to lay down dirt?

Of course you may be one of those uppity types who has to have straw.
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Btw I'm trying this new thing where I don't read and only look at pictures so all I have to say is that must have been one hell of a party.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I really enjoy seeing your project, skiz. I have some old cabinets (functional but not attractive) that I have been eyeing to replace since we bought the house. So much to do just to get through each day-- never enough time, money, or energy. The steps you are taking are exactly what I will have ahead of me. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your efforts.
    It isn't too bad after you get past the monetary hurdle. Insurance helped pad about half the cost so that helped ease the pain quite a bit.

Floors in. No problems at all. Left space around where the cabinets will go. Since it's a floating floor it needs room for expansion and isn't supposed to have cabinets sitting on top. When I get the cabinets delivered in 10-15 days I'll need to get them in position, mark where the front edges touch the flooring and then use a zip saw type thing (still need to purchase) to cut off the excess flooring that would otherwise end up under the base cabinets. Still need to do the stair nose and transition strips sometime this week. I anticipated this taking 8-10 hours but it was more like 15+. The final strips by the sliding door were a bitch and it became a bit of a puzzle to work through. The middle areas go really fast however. I could have done a room 4x this size in probably the same amount of time.

7BqfP34.jpg

GXHq5Ej.jpg
    Last edited by Skiz; 07-31-2017 at 08:21 AM.

yo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast