Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This Old House

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Btw I'm trying this new thing where I don't read and only look at pictures so all I have to say is that must have been one hell of a party.
    That would require at least a handful of friends. I only really have work friends here. We haven't found CO people to be the most welcoming folks and I can get along with just about anyone.

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    It seems you are facing the problem due to walls that are not aligned right on top of each other in the upstairs office and the downstairs basement. I suggest taking interior designing services they can advise you much better.
    Last edited by Skiz; 09-20-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: link removed

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Update. Been slow going due to time constraints and the holy hell that has come with problems and issues along the way.

Got base cabinets in a few weeks ago. The old house floors are hilariously wonky in some places. Shimming was a challenge. I was doing the cabinet install by myself so it took quite a bit of time. Got everything in, shimmed, and leveled. Next came the uppers. I thought I would need to buy some of these stands to hold the wall cabinets while I put them in but I opted to just screw a 2x4 to the wall and just muscle through it. Same as the floors, the walls were very wavy and it became super apparent after anchoring the straight 2x4 to the wall. Doing it solo was a motherfucker. I got through it but in the future I'll find a better alternative.

xup8e8K.jpg

5rmnLet.jpg

FaVcvCK.jpg

yJdJhqI.jpg

Next came time to put the sink in. I don't know if any of you have ever lifted a cast iron sink before. I hadn't. It's cast iron. I knew it was going to be heavy but I wasn't prepared for 135 lbs heavy. I had to build a 4 post frame and deck inside the sink base to support it. Had to solicit the help of a neighbor to help lift it and put it in place. This turned out to be a hassle. We put the sink in once and I considered using construction adhesive to hold it but opted for caulk instead...just in case. Sure enough, when the guy came to template for the countertops he said it needed to come up an 1/8". It took two of us to break the seal and remove the sink. Put some common wood in there I had planed down, recaulked and replaced the sink, remeasured, too high. Removed it all again, inserted new wood, recaulked, replaced the sink, remeasured, perfect.

Next, I needed to install the disposal and plumb the sink. What should have been an hour project turned into 2 days. In order for water to properly drain you need to have a downward slope in your drain pipes, otherwise you get water collecting in the bottom of the disposal where it will start to stink and you will eventually have leaks as well. The guy who did all the major plumbing when our original pipe broke inside the wall put the drain inlet a tad too high and I wasn't able to get a downward slope.

Attempt 1: No downslope.

iFxsef3.jpg

Attempt 2: tried flipping the trap. This technically would work but it would also leave standing water in the low side of the trap and would eventually leak. Tomorrow, next year, who knows..

z8r3MMs.jpg

Attempt 3: I eventually came across a "U" trap in the solvent pipe section and loved the idea. Works perfectly and everything is glued together. Shouldn't have a problem, ever.

MSMsoep.jpg

With plumbing completed I was able to get the dishwasher in and usable. Next, countertops are delivered and set in place. No problems. Next, faucet and soap dispenser install. No problems. Got the window framed as well. This was one of those odd old house things. The current window thats in place is actually set inside the old original window frame. I have no idea why. So I had to get creative in filling the ~3" gap of no drywall around the window. I actually just used adhesive and paint stirring sticks as they were the perfect thickness. Should leave some added mystery to that window some years down the road when the next guy goes to replace something.

NUh90W5.jpg

With the countertops in and a working sink, you can bet we were ready to make the first home cooked meal in a couple of months. Annnnnnd the stove is broken. No idea why it broke. It worked when we moved it out. All the electrical lights come on but the stove and oven will not heat up. Doing some reading it looks like it might be a thermal fuse. Fk it. The stove is the only old appliance we have in the house and I prefer gas anyway. out with the old and in with the new...when it gets delivered. Unfortunately, when shopping for new ranges I noticed that none of them can accommodate the 24" tall gas supply pipe in our kitchen. Yet another unexpected project.

I considered just shortening the current gas pipe but I don't have a pipe threader and they cost a few bucks for one that will thread iron pipe. So now my only option is to replace the current pipe with a new one. You wouldn't believe how scared people get or how they look at you when you say you're going to be replacing a gas pipe in your house. I think it's pretty safe if you take your time and use some common sense. I also needed to run the electrical through the wall for the new range. The old range required a 220 but the new only requires a 110. All in all both of these projects went smoothly and was done in a half day.

Zal1lMW.jpg

DZvog8n.jpg

Projects still to be completed:

Minor electrical (those over/under light switches next to the sink bother me. gonna put in a proper side by side switch box)
    Tile
    Range hood
    Toe Kicks
    Crown moulding

Can't do tile until I have a wet saw. My uncle has one in New Mexico. I plan to drive down and pick it up in a couple weeks.
    Last edited by Skiz; 09-20-2017 at 07:07 PM.

yo

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'd forgotten about this thread. All done now, thanks to the help of a shitload of youtube videos.

IMG_3571.jpg

yo

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    That looks fantastic, skiz! Really nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Nice work.

I guess the ceiling was an ocean wave, so you chose not to install the crown tight up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123