Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comp Wont Psot

well, i have receive my cpu. installed it along w/ the heatsink. connect power supply. installed ram. press power button......and nothing

whats oign on? is my cpu defective or is it my mobo? i know its not psu cuz i try the psu from tthe comp im typign htis on and still the same results.

clocker? vb123? some help?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Okay, is your PSU switch to the on position? the - has to be depressed on the little switch, with the O jutting out.

Check that first, that happened to me first time I built one.

Second, is your computer hooked into an outlet that is getting power? (I have had people hook their computer into a surge protector, and hook the surge protector, back into the surge protector), so it never hurts to ask.

Also, make sure your RAM is isntalled in bank 0, or bank 1, if you dont have a bank 0.

And, make sure you are using risers for your motherboard, because if its touching the back of the case it could be shorting itself and not starting.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Also, is you power on switch installed correctly?

It is very easy to have it one pin over on that strip.

Try putting your video card in also.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    nope theres not even a switch on the psu that came along w/ the case

now i have good news and bad news:

bad news:

i though cpu chip was broken when i installed hsf, but it wasnt so after i took off the hsf, the preapplied thermal compound was pretty much gone. so i have to run to store to buy.........a $9.99 tube of thermal paste . and the closet circuit city or compusa is like half an hour drive away. so i have to drive some half an hour in the freaking snowy minnestoa to get a tube of thermal paste then drive back

good news:

i've save a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to gieco.... (i should really switch to gieco though...dont even have insurance right now) no the good news is i figure out what went wrong. after checking everything, i decided to check the cmos jumper switch and viola the stupid thing was set on "clear cmos". switch it back and my beatiful case is lit up w/ light and the cpu is running and the system is posting.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    now to get myself a hdd and a nice lcd monitor. i know 5400 rpm is ages agoo but i can get a wd 80 gig 5400rpm for $55 so im thinking of doign that. or sohuld i go w/ the 7200 rpm wd 40 gig for $50?

and some advice on cd-burner and dvd drives. oh and btw, i have decided to go w/ the radeon 9000 pro over the fx 5200. is that a good idea? and plz dont tellme to get something way over those 2 cards like a fucking 9800 pro....getting the 9800 pro would be the total cost of my system when its done

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Err, that really shouldnt effect things, which is kinda odd, I thought it usually just lets you boot up, but it never keeps any of your settings.

Hmm, guess it depends on the setup of the jumper.

*shrug.

Good to hear it worked.

btw, dont apply too much thermal paste!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Raiser,

Go with the smaller but faster HDD unit. No sense bottlenecking your system from the gitgo.

I have a Radeon 9000 Pro card and it's fine. Don't bother with the stock ATI drivers though. Use Omega Drivers..
    Just install the card and these drivers and you're on your way. After you install the drivers, go to Control Panel>Display>Advanced and you'll notice that you now have a boatload of new tabs installed. You can play with the settings and even overclock your card from here. My BIOS default was 276MHz and I've been running at 310.5MHz with no stability problems at all. Much better scores in 3D Mark 2001 also.
    Makes this forum look really good.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    k, i was also thinking of getting the smaller hdd becuz now that i have that one, im prob jus gonna use that one for game. so my movies and stuff is going to be on the one im typing this w/. hmmm guess ill go w/ the 9000 pro then. basically i only play games like cs most of the time. could this handle ut2k3? or splinter cell?

oh and would it matter w/ kind of thermal paste im going to use....

hehe and another thing. im not too sure if my fans are installed correctly. should it be sucking the air from the comp and blowing it out? or should it be sucking air from outside the case and blowing it in?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    No magic answer regarding the fans, I'm afraid.

Just try different setups and monitor the temps.

Stick with whatever works.

Sorry.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    so there isnt a right way to install a fan? u can install it both ways? i mean blow air in or blow air out is up to u?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast