Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone Help Me With This Christmas Worksheeet

Teacher gave us this for Extra Credit. I cant find some of the answers. I would appreciate some help.

1. What does the X in Xmas Stand for ??
    2. What is the story that links spiders to Christkindel and tinsel ?
    3. When was the earliest references to what became Christmas pudding with holly?
    4. Who wrote Jingle Bells ? When ? For what event ?
    5. Is there any truth to the rumour that santa is dead and buried in Italy
    6 Is there one town in the U.S.A called Santa?
    7. When and who invented tinsel before Germany did in 1610?
    8. Where is it that ducks receive a present every Christmas?
    9. What did King Wenceslas really do ?
    10. When and where was Christmas banned in a Christian country?
    11. Who was Scrooge's first ghostly visitor?
    12. What is Santa's sleigh pulled by in Finland?
    13. Who was the artist who drew the first Christmas Card? When ?
    14. What happens in the cemetery at Oberammergau(Germany) at Halloween and at Christmas ? Why ?
    15. When and where would you go to Reveillon ?
    16 Why is it bad luck to leave the Christmas decorations up after Twelfth Night ?
    17. Many Christmas Cards express Yuletide greetings. What was Yuletide ?
    18. What is the "Unlawful Games Act of 1541 " ? Are there any exemptions ?
    19 . When is orthodox Christmas and why is it at a different time ?
    20. Where and when was the first Ryoal Christmas broadcast ??

P.S
    You could learn something from this

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    1. What does the X in Xmas Stand for ??
    The word "Christmas" means "Mass of Christ," later shortened to "Christ-Mass." The even shorter form "Xmas" - first used in Europe in the 1500s - is derived from the Greek alphabet, in which X is the first letter of Christ's name: Xristos, therefore "X-Mass."
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Courier'>The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.....</span>
    <span style='color:red'><u>Don't Go Here.........</u></span></span>

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Thanks. See if we work together we can get this completed

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by judgeofallandnothing@25 November 2003 - 01:32
    P.S
    You could learn something from this
    You can learn more when you do your own homework&#33;

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    chriskindel once ate a spider when it sat down beside him, whilst he was eating his curds and wahheyy. i am still upset by this as it was my great grandfather. chriskindel your time will come.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    18. What is the "Unlawful Games Act of 1541 " ? Are there any exemptions ?
    Henry VIII (1541), had a law introduced (the Unlawful Games Act) which banned all sports on Christmas Day except archery. All dangerous sports were banned but archery was seen as essential to maintaining the country&#39;s military strength. This was later joined by "leaping and vaulting" which kept young men fit and strong.

I say bring on the leaping and vaulting
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Courier'>The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.....</span>
    <span style='color:red'><u>Don't Go Here.........</u></span></span>

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Poster
    Halloween just started in Germany, this is the first or second year they have done it..

Also do a google search.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    I&#39;ll only help if you send me a xmas card

However, this ones for free: GOOGLE

Peace and good tidings for yuletide
    UKMan

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Spider_dude@25 November 2003 - 00:59
    chriskindel once ate a spider when it sat down beside him, whilst he was eating his curds and wahheyy. i am still upset by this as it was my great grandfather. chriskindel your time will come.
    http://www.showcaves.com/english/exp...ory/Bruce.html

Another relative?

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Originally posted by UKMan@25 November 2003 - 01:05
    I&#39;ll only help if you send me a xmas card

However, this ones for free: GOOGLE

Peace and good tidings for yuletide
    UKMan
    i did google it
    this is waht i haev

1. The idea of using ‘X’ in place of Christ is not a modern idea. In the Modern Roman Alphabet, the first letter of the word ‘Christ’ is ‘chi’ which is represented by a symbol similar to the letter ‘X’.

2.On Christmas Eve when the Christkindel comes, the spiders ask him to let them into the house to see the tree, which he does. As the spiders explore the tree, they cover it with their webs, which the Christkindel tranforms into beautiful tinsel. Thus explaining the tradition of tinsel.

3. There are many traditions and superstitions surrounding the Christmas Pudding. Some traditions say to make the pudding by the 25th Sunday after Trinity, with 13 ingredients to represent Christ and His Disciples. Every member of the family is to take a turn stirring the pudding with a wooden spoon from east to west, in honor of the three kings. It is said that setting the brandy aflame represents Christ’s passion. A sprig of holly as garnish is a reminder if His ‘Crown of Thorns.’ Holly supposedly brought good luck and had special healing powers. It was often planted near houses in the belief that it protected the inhabitants.

4. The words and music of this secular winter carol were written in 1857 by American Unitarian clergyman and poet, John Pierpont (1785-1866).

6. Yes, Santa Clause, Indiana, or Santa Texas

9. Who was King Wenceslas anyway? Wenceslas was the Duke of Bohemia who was murdered in 929 AD by his wicked younger brother, Boleslav. As the song indicates, he was a good, honest, and strongly principled man. The song expresses his high moral character in describing King Wenceslas braving a fierce storm in order to help feed a poor neighbour. Wenceslas believed that his Christian faith needed to be put into action in practical ways. Wenceslas was brought up with a strong Christian faith by his grandmother St. Ludmila. Wenceslas’ own mother Drahomira, however, joined forces with an anti-Christian group that murdered Wenceslas’ grandmother, and seized power in Bohemia. Two years later in 922 AD, the evil Drahomira was deposed, and Good King Wenceslas became the ruler. He became Bohemia’s most famous martyr and patron saint. His picture appeared on Bohemian coins, and the Crown of Wenceslas became the symbol of Czech independence.

11. Bob Marley

12. Reindeer? or snowdogs i have read both

13. The first recognised commercial Christmas card was produced in England in 1843 by Henry Cole, the founder of the Victoria and Albert Museum

14.In Germany, New Year’s Eve is called Silvester after the pope who died on this day in 335. In Garmisch, the mayor and second mayor gather in Richard Strauss Plaza for Neujahrsansingen, an evening of traditional music and singing to welcome in the New Year.
    Oberammergau observes a similar event. Townspeople and musicians gather in the center of town with lanterns and torches. The group carries a large hollow star with the Christ child inside and proceeds through the town singing and stopping at the mayor’s residence and the homes of families who have requested a visit.

15.During the mid-1800&#39;s, Creole families of New Orleans celebrated the "Reveillon" twice during the holiday season. The first, on Christmas Eve, was a solemn occasion tied to a religious event. After attending Midnight Mass in the St. Louis Cathedral, families returned home to a breakfast which often lasted until dawn.

16. According to a very old tradition, you should take down Christmas decorations on the Twelfth Day...it&#39;s unlucky to leave them up even a day longer&#33; Take down the tree, put away the lights, and burn the decorative "greens" in the fireplace for luck&#33;

17.Yule is from an old Germanic root, Jul, meaning "to turn," and referred to the phenomenon of the sun "turning" in the sky three days after the winter solstice

18.In December 1541, the Unlawful Games Act made it illegal for any sport – other than archery – to be played at Christmas.

19.Jan 7, The Russian and other eastern Orthodox churches adhere to the Julian
    calendar in which Christmas is celebrated Jan

20. In 1932 when King George V made the first royal Christmas broadcast to what was then the British Empire, it was transmitted live from his small study at Sandringham, in Norfolk, where the royal family always spend their Christmas holidays.

But some of them dont seem right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast