Page 199 of 739 FirstFirst ... 99149189196197198199200201202209249299699 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 7385

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets

Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post

Wouldn't happen unless the kid was actually born on US soil. Just having US citizenship from his mom won't make him/her eligible to be President.

That's why I am happy that Ted Cruz was born in Canada.
    Nope. Children of US parents are US citizens regardless of what country they are born in. I'll go find a source if you wish to debate it.
    I am not arguing that. But the constitution contains Article 2, Clause 5, which states that: "No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; [...]". Per Wikipedia: "The U.S. Constitution uses but does not define the phrase "natural born Citizen", and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. The consensus of early 21st-century constitutional scholars, together with relevant case law, is that natural-born citizens include, subject to exceptions, those born in the United States."

I rest my case.

2. Lounge   -   #1982
    shaina's Avatar Poster

Nope. Children of US parents are US citizens regardless of what country they are born in. I'll go find a source if you wish to debate it.
    I am not arguing that. But the constitution contains Article 2, Clause 5, which states that: "No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; [...]". Per Wikipedia: "The U.S. Constitution uses but does not define the phrase "natural born Citizen", and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. The consensus of early 21st-century constitutional scholars, together with relevant case law, is that natural-born citizens include, subject to exceptions, those born in the United States."

I rest my case.
    Isn't that what i said

Citizen and US born Citizen are two different things.....

3. Lounge   -   #1983
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post

So you are saying you don't have to register or apply for citizenship?? If you were born in another country, how does the US know it??
    What Records??
    In Canada....
    Dual Citizenship
    But can you be considered a true born Canadian?? Citizen, yes but not a born one
    You or your parents will have to register and/or apply for a passport for you, but you don't have to apply for Citizenship per se. Citizenship you have, regardless of whether you have a passport or not (on the other hand, just because you have a passport does not make you a citizen).

If you were born to US parents abroad and they never got you a passport or registered you with the embassy while you were little, and now years later you wanted to establish your citizenship you would file an N-600 with USCIS, which is an application for a Certificate of Citizenship, but not an application for citizenship. That would be an N-400 (aka application for naturalization).

And the US doesn't give a hoot about what other citizenships you may have. I think it even says so in the US passport; the US *tolerates* dual citizenship but does not recognize it (meaning, if you are Canadian and US citizen, the moment you cross the border south you are seen as a US citizen only and would not have a legal right to legal assistance from the Canadian embassy/consulate if you got into trouble with the law).

4. Lounge   -   #1984
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    You or your parents will have to register and/or apply for a passport for you, but you don't have to apply for Citizenship per se. Citizenship you have, regardless of whether you have a passport or not (on the other hand, just because you have a passport does not make you a citizen).
    If you were born to US parents abroad and they never got you a passport or registered you with the embassy while you were little, and now years later you wanted to establish your citizenship you would file an N-600 with USCIS, which is an application for a Certificate of Citizenship, but not an application for citizenship. That would be an N-400 (aka application for naturalization).
    And the US doesn't give a hoot about what other citizenships you may have. I think it even says so in the US passport; the US *tolerates* dual citizenship but does not recognize it (meaning, if you are Canadian and US citizen, the moment you cross the border south you are seen as a US citizen only and would not have a legal right to legal assistance from the Canadian embassy/consulate if you got into trouble with the law).
    All Makes sense to me

What i think happened with my friends daughter... once she turned 18 and if she wanted to keep her US status, she did need to apply for a US social security number and do a tax return (i am pretty sure ), or she would forfeit the dual status??

My friend is a Periodontist and got his degree in New York , so he lived there with his wife for a few years, and bing bang boom the wife got pregnant..
    And yes Idol they had paid for health insurance so they didn't need to come back home and have the baby, funny he paid for insurance?? He is a cheap fuck

5. Lounge   -   #1985
    What i think happened with my friends daughter... once she turned 18 and if she wanted to keep her US status, she did need to apply for a US social security number and do a tax return (i am pretty sure ), or she would forfeit the dual status??
    No. If push came to shove she may be facing penalties and interest for not filing a tax return (if she ever moved to the US and got under the jurisdiction of the IRS), but she would not lose her US citizenship unless she actively renounced it at a US consulate (oh yes, there's a fee for that, too).

6. Lounge   -   #1986
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    No. If push came to shove she may be facing penalties and interest for not filing a tax return (if she ever moved to the US and got under the jurisdiction of the IRS), but she would not lose her US citizenship unless she actively renounced it at a US consulate (oh yes, there's a fee for that, too).
    Well it was at a party at his house when he told me so

Is you say so i believe you, plus it is not going to change my life's existence

7. Lounge   -   #1987
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    A person born abroad in wedlock to a U.S. citizen mother and a U.S. citizen father acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under section 301(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), if one of the parents has had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions prior to the person’s birth.

A person born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship under Section 301(c) or 301(g) of the INA, as made applicable by the “new” Section 309(a) of the INA if:

A blood relationship between the person and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence;
    The father had the nationality of the United States at the time of the person’s birth;
    The father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for the person until the person reaches the age of 18 years, and
    While the person is under the age of 18 years --
    the person is legitimated under the law of his/her residence or domicile,
    the father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or
    the paternity of the person is established by adjudication of a competent court.
    This is pretty all inclusive. Tough to find a situation which isn't covered. Prob written to cover not just civilians but military personnel as well.
    Last edited by Skiz; 12-07-2017 at 04:39 PM.

yo

8. Lounge   -   #1988
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    That's fascinating, which I didn't know all of the details of before.

Basically, no blacks, then...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. Lounge   -   #1989
    Pablo123
    It's impossible to do that. Galera, let me win, please.

10. Lounge   -   #1990
    A person born abroad in wedlock to a U.S. citizen mother and a U.S. citizen father acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under section 301(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), if one of the parents has had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions prior to the person’s birth.

A person born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship under Section 301(c) or 301(g) of the INA, as made applicable by the “new” Section 309(a) of the INA if:

A blood relationship between the person and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence;
    The father had the nationality of the United States at the time of the person’s birth;
    The father (unless deceased) has agreed in writing to provide financial support for the person until the person reaches the age of 18 years, and
    While the person is under the age of 18 years --
    the person is legitimated under the law of his/her residence or domicile,
    the father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or
    the paternity of the person is established by adjudication of a competent court.
    This is pretty all inclusive. Tough to find a situation which isn't covered. Prob written to cover not just civilians but military personnel as well.
    Actually you barely scratched the surface of citizenship law. In order to confer citizenship to their child, the parent must also have lived a certain number of years in the US following their 14th birthday. So let's say that you were born in the US and your parents took you to China when you were 12. In that case you are a US citizen, but your children may not be. There is another process where they can derive their US citizenship from their grandparents, but let's say your parents were born outside the US and never got US citizenship and you were born in the US and then they took you out of the country before you were 14, then your children are pretty much SOL even though you have US citizenship.

And to get back to my point about qualifying as president, there is debate whether even US military bases are considered US soil or not. So let's say your parents are with the military stationed in Korea or Japan and you are born in an on-base hospital. You may still not qualify to run for President because of that article in the constitution I quoted before, even though you are a US citizen.
    Last edited by Caballero; 12-07-2017 at 05:48 PM.