Page 484 of 739 FirstFirst ... 384434474481482483484485486487494534584 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,840 of 7385

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets

Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    ...You really are old.
    Never said differently... you youngster you.
    Last edited by Stehle; 09-04-2020 at 03:42 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #4832
    Quote Originally Posted by Stehle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    Clearly drug use among the programmers was more widespread in those days, too.
    Say it wasn't so...
    Drugs or not, you had to be talented to be a programmer back then, there was no two ways about it. These systems had so little resources that literally every byte mattered; note how the Commodore 64 can't scroll the beginning of the level and keep playing the background music in real time.

Nowadays even a potato phone has multiple cores and tons of RAM and you don't have to bother writing good code because "the compiler will optimize it for you"
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Lounge   -   #4833
    Semi-related: a C64 port of the first Metal Gear existed, but the loading delays were crazy.

4. Lounge   -   #4834
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Semi-related: a C64 port of the first Metal Gear existed, but the loading delays were crazy.
    One of the few games I ever legitimately beat... in it's many iterations.

(PC's, game consoles, etc. ... who remembers 72+ hours of constant marathon-ing play on a wild DARPA level! Luved it!!)

My Espresso recipes are by request now...
    Last edited by Stehle; 09-04-2020 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Good Suff!

5. Lounge   -   #4835
    Quote Originally Posted by Stehle View Post
    One of the few games I ever legitimately beat... in it's many iterations.
    I got pretty far in the NES version, but never managed to finish it... even if you took notes, it was so difficult without a manual or walkthrough. Also, fuck having to cycle through cards to find the right one for each door

Videogames were harder back then. Contra wasn't designed for regular human beings

6. Lounge   -   #4836
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I am not an old person but my first bit of kit was a c64 hand-me-down because we were relatively poor and it was old as fuck when I got given it - I remember taking the cassette for International Truck Racing and putting it into my Walkman to listen to and it's how I know to this day that the government is hiding something.

I remember Short Circuit the game being shit but maybe it wasn't?

7. Lounge   -   #4837
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    Okay anon here is the one that broke me trying to beat it....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_(video_game)

...even had one of these, less sophisticated of course and way more expensive then...

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/prod...45-000058.html

My farm manager* on our lunch break and after hours worked the left controller... two people and we never got past the worst melee level.

Yeah...Mulder... first attempt at programming was a cassette on a VIC-20...

*Young lad, but good... spelled me for piss breaks on Metal Gear.

8. Lounge   -   #4838
    Hadn't heard of it (though I was never into flight simulators in general, they seemed too complex and boring for me). Did a quick search and found this. Seems pretty advanced for its time!

I do remember those special flight sim joysticks with lots of triggers, buttons and sliders... and steering wheels, gear handles and pedals for racing games. I had an A4Tech brand gamepad myself, plugged to the yellow game port. Wonder how many people know what that is these days

9. Lounge   -   #4839
    Have two more videos. These games came around at the same time as yours and I did get to play them.

I was this close to beating Tunnel B1, but the last mission was impossible. You had to destroy this helicopter to exit the level but it was impossible to hit!

10. Lounge   -   #4840
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    I remember Descent! I also remember that I sucked pretty badly at it.

By the way, those NFOs I posted yesterday came from a CD that I burned about 30 years ago. With a bit of care I guess that storage medium does keep for a while..