Page 535 of 739 FirstFirst ... 35435485525532533534535536537538545585635 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,350 of 7385

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets

Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    I feel for you. Me, I'm about 12% into rebuilding my Plex server...
    12% sounds so random lol but yeah I hope you get it back up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcord View Post
    still dunno what the fuck happened that it would not boot up on my laptop but works when I removed the drive and stuck it into a drive case that has the option to attach a usb cable and turn it into an external drive.
    Consider this a near-miss and learn from it. Right now the priority should be copying everything to a healthy medium as quickly as possible. Robocopy in restartable mode or Unstoppable Copier are good choices. Then, you need some sort of integrity checking; I use SHA-1 hash lists myself. If you haven't kept those in advance, trying to hash files from a potentially defective disk may not produce accurate results, but is better than nothing. For torrent data, you can (and should) use the recheck feature in your client.

Mine was an external, and I thought I might get as lucky as you by doing the opposite, removing it from the case and plugging it directly... no such luck.
    I usually always take a backup every week for stuff that's new and back it up to an external HDD. This incident was just so random and the drive would just not boot up. Even the Linux Mint splash screen wouldn't boot up so there was no way for me to even go into CLI mode and try to figure out what the hell it was that went wrong.

Robocopy is for windows (MS can go jump up its own ass and die for all I care) and I'm on Linux. Unstoppable copier looks interesting and I'll have to give it a go. Though I managed to recover everything that was important to me I think having these solutions would be a good idea for the future so thanks for the suggestion.

I remember buying this case a long time back. It wasn't reall a drive I shucked and kept the case but rather it was a case I found in the market once for small drives I could fit into it and then use a USB connector to turn it into an external. So glad I had this lying around. The most important thing in that drive was not just the "stuff" but the backup to my catalogue program for movies that I'd spent a lot of time building on Tellico. I almost lost it when I thought the work I put in to curate over 800 movies on Tellico was all lost. Would have been a pain to do it all over again and then continue adding more.
    Last edited by ripcord; 09-26-2021 at 07:07 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #5342
    Robocopy is for windows (MS can go jump up its own ass and die for all I care) and I'm on Linux. Unstoppable copier looks interesting and I'll have to give it a go.
    On Linux you have another good alternative: ddrescue.

I managed to recover everything that was important to me
    Great! If the disk is still within warranty, I would now wipe it and send for RMA. Otherwise, run SMART tests and a secure erase on it and see if you can restore usability, although hard disks that have shown defects are usually a ticking time bomb.

I remember buying this case a long time back. It wasn't reall a drive I shucked and kept the case but rather it was a case I found in the market once for small drives I could fit into it and then use a USB connector to turn it into an external. So glad I had this lying around.
    Image.jpg

If you don't have one of these already... you should.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Lounge   -   #5343
    Unfortunately the warranty on the drive has lapsed so I can't send it in for RMA. Which is why I guess I'll probably just format it and try to play around with it a bit. Maybe I'll dump shit in there that won't sting me if I loose it

Now though I have a 2tb drive in my laptop so I can "collect and share" more.

The case I have is pretty much just the IDE to usb so like I said I was lucky on that front.

I have about 90% of my stuff back just minor stuff here and there that I really need to dig for. Other than that I've pretty much taken the entire day yesterday to back up almost everything I've recovered so that I'm prepared for when shit hits the fan next.
    Last edited by ripcord; 09-27-2021 at 05:08 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #5344
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    What always fucks me up most in situations like this is all the jetsom and floatsom that you collect without thinking about it. PDF files of payment receipts, manuals, screenshots and whatnot -- you never know what you are missing until you need it and start looking for it.

5. Lounge   -   #5345
    Agreed. Always a pain to go looking for something you thought you're never going to need. Especially when it's something like your phone or pc.

6. Lounge   -   #5346
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Or the last decent post in a thread.
    Now go away.

7. Lounge   -   #5347
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    But I really care about other people's computer problems. I wish Netflix would make a live action anime directed by M. Night Shyamalan about it.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Lounge   -   #5348
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    But I really care about other people's computer problems. I wish Netflix would make a live action anime directed by M. Night Shyamalan about it.
    It's been done but I can't be fussed to search it out...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #5349
    Unfortunately the warranty on the drive has lapsed so I can't send it in for RMA. Which is why I guess I'll probably just format it and try to play around with it a bit. Maybe I'll dump shit in there that won't sting me if I loose it
    If all else fails, the magnet inside the disk is universally useful. And the platters make decent mirrors

10. Lounge   -   #5350
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    What always fucks me up most in situations like this is all the jetsom and floatsom that you collect without thinking about it. PDF files of payment receipts, manuals, screenshots and whatnot -- you never know what you are missing until you need it and start looking for it.
    Add poor organization and you've got me. Trying to sort thousands and thousands of files a posteriori is incredibly time-consuming and boring.