Page 486 of 739 FirstFirst ... 386436476483484485486487488489496536586 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,860 of 7385

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Stehle View Post
    You guys... I've taken so many trips down memory lane you made my holiday weekend!
    My reaction was I had to resist the strong urge to put the lot of you on ignore.
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Lounge   -   #4852
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    My reaction was I had to resist the strong urge to put the lot of you on ignore.
    Not possible for staff members. You'll have to settle for ignoring me for real
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Lounge   -   #4853
    Seems that would be a lot of extra effort, entirely on my part. No, clearly the smart thing to do here is simply to wait for one of us to die.

4. Lounge   -   #4854
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stehle View Post

Say it wasn't so...
    Drugs or not, you had to be talented to be a programmer back then, there was no two ways about it. These systems had so little resources that literally every byte mattered; note how the Commodore 64 can't scroll the beginning of the level and keep playing the background music in real time.

Nowadays even a potato phone has multiple cores and tons of RAM and you don't have to bother writing good code because "the compiler will optimize it for you"
    The Sinclair ZX Spectrum had similar limitations. Manic Miner's famous "stuttery" music came about in part because the processor couldn't run the music and the game at the same time, so it alternated CPU cycles between game and music.

Iconic now, of course...

5. Lounge   -   #4855
    "Temperatures tied a record high of 97 degrees Fahrenheit in Denver on Sunday afternoon, while a winter storm watch was in effect for the metro area. With forecasters predicting a low of 33 degrees on Monday night, this could be a record-setting temperature drop".

TjYlPmV.jpg

6. Lounge   -   #4856
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Seems that would be a lot of extra effort, entirely on my part. No, clearly the smart thing to do here is simply to wait for one of us to die.
    Keep doing those smashing (against the floor) workouts and it will happen soon enough.

7. Lounge   -   #4857
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Manic Miner's famous "stuttery" music

Honestly, this sounds like an enhanced interrogation technique...

8. Lounge   -   #4858
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Well, I just accidentally deleted 10 GB of files; apparently without a chance of recovery (does anyone have a recommendation for a proven undelete program? I have yet to find one)...

I'm pretty sure half the stuff was garbage anyway, but there probably were a good three dozen PDFs that I surely must have created/saved for a good reason and for the most part I have no clue what they contained. Not knowing is probably the most unsettling part of this whole affair.

9. Lounge   -   #4859
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    does anyone have a recommendation for a proven undelete program? I have yet to find one
    Easy mode: https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
    Hard mode: http://www.winhex.com/winhex/
    Extreme mode: https://github.com/jschicht/NtfsFileExtractor, https://github.com/jschicht/LogFileParser

As always, don't keep writing to the volume you want to recover data from, or you'll lessen your chances of success.

10. Lounge   -   #4860
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Thanks, I'll try them out.

Could kick myself -- thought I was highlighting a file, pressed shift-delete and for some reason the file wasn't highlighted but rather the folder the file was in. *poof* Gone. Idiot me then pressed ctrl-z, which resulted in the last file I had just moved out of that folder to be moved back -- and the folder name I just deleted to be recreated. At that point there was no way to recover the old folder, I guess.

Oh well.