Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. what.cd

shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Yeah, well done lads. It's a bit like only going to visit your gran when you're a bit skint and you think she might slip you £50.
    Now you can purchase Usenet for a month or two if you score from dear old Granny
    Be really curious how exclusive the music was on What.cd that you can't get anywhere else??

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    Yeah, well done lads. It's a bit like only going to visit your gran when you're a bit skint and you think she might slip you £50.
    Now you can purchase Usenet for a month or two if you score from dear old Granny
    Be really curious how exclusive the music was on What.cd that you can't get anywhere else??
    The music was the same as most other places or a combination of. I think it was the free fedora with every download that drew people to the site.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    The music was the same as most other places or a combination of. I think it was the free fedora with every download that drew people to the site.
    I have had lots of people requesting me to get them songs and i don't really think i have had a problem filling there request using Usenet
    But yes there is a cost added to it....

Attachment 172827

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Any sane alternative ?

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000possibleclaws View Post
    where will i get my obscure anime soundtracks now????
    lztr

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Long John Silver
    RIP what

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    That's a proper shit ending to 2016 if I can think of one.

I'm opening my hard drive up to Slsk and Subsonic as soon as I get the technical stuff down. If anyone is doing the same, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowcandle View Post
    Any sane alternative ?
    I don't think so. I don't even think we'll have anything in the vein of What again. Today's climate with streaming, with overzealous copyright claims, and with the general filesharing apathy (most people would much rather be passive endpoints for the data ditribution) make it unlikely a startup website today will be anywhere as successful or comprehensive. Someone will try surely, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on that ship.

For what it's worth, What proved that semi-open access was its greatest strength and I'm sure anyone who comes along to try and get the next best thing rolling will know that. There's no fear of missing out. But we need to change and evolve how we interact with the law and the technology. We can't keep using systems developed in the early 2000s forever.
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 11-18-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Ellipses go here.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Community = gone
    Repository = gone

Kinda sad, the community part is somewhat replicable, but the repository I doubt it, considering how Hugh Mungus it was.
    Looking back remembering how I once suggested it here for it to the mirrored unto usenet. Oh well, who listens.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Last edited by anon; 11-18-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: [this is bad]
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

10. BitTorrent   -   #30

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast