Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. what.cd

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarterquack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowcandle View Post
    Any sane alternative ?
    I don't think so. I don't even think we'll have anything in the vein of What again. Today's climate with streaming, with overzealous copyright claims, and with the general filesharing apathy (most people would much rather be passive endpoints for the data ditribution) make it unlikely a startup website today will be anywhere as successful or comprehensive. Someone will try surely, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on that ship.

For what it's worth, What proved that semi-open access was its greatest strength and I'm sure anyone who comes along to try and get the next best thing rolling will know that. There's no fear of missing out. But we need to change and evolve how we interact with the law and the technology. We can't keep using systems developed in the early 2000s forever.
    For once I agree with you...sort of. While What was indisputably unparalleled in it's repertoire, it was also unparalleled in everything else it offered. The Gazelle format was above and beyond anything any other site offered. Thankfully that code has been shared in numerous places online as a template. But even if someone decides to use it and create a genuine replacement for What, they are unlikely to be as level-headed and easy going as the previous staffers. The Oink approach to running a tracker was awful. Oink shut down with only around 200K torrents whereas What had more than ten times that with over 2 million. It really was a friendly place with a great community feel. The user-focused approach is clearly the correct one. Something will come along again, but it won't be another What.

yo

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    Looks like more shitstorm incoming.

Deli.sh - Closed
    HDa - Closing

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    Quote Originally Posted by aoshivx View Post
    Looks like more shitstorm incoming.

Deli.sh - Closed
    HDa - Closing
    GazelleGames: wiped their server and shut down. According a staff member, "this should hopefully be only temporary".
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Site shutdowns have been pretty minimal in the past several years. Seems like the ones behind the shutdowns are orchestrating a lot of semi-simultaneous closures.

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    *waves* How long has it been? A decade? Wow, time flew by!

RIP What.

The show must go on, and with that being said, what's the go to alternative music/ebook/osx apps/audiobook tracker these days?

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleD87 View Post
    *waves* How long has it been? A decade? Wow, time flew by!

RIP What.

The show must go on, and with that being said, what's the go to alternative music/ebook/osx apps/audiobook tracker these days?
    I'm afraid its a spotify subscription at the moment afaik, maybe SoulSeek but the quality is a mixed bag. I'm hope something big is in the works in terms of a bt tracker.

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    turin's Avatar Turambar BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    I was not at what.cd but at waffles, and it seems to be down too :-(

8. BitTorrent   -   #48

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    So basically one short "Boy are we ever full of ourselves and then we're out of here".

All that needed was some inapproriately majestic music and it would qualify as a golf broadcast.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    shaina's Avatar Poster

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast