Thread: Will private torrent work with open trackers?

Hello,

i see that when i added private torrent to my client, removed private trackers and added open trackers, it downloaded data.
    But what about upload? What if i am seeder, have private tracker and also add open trackers, will it upload via open tracker, what if peer also has private + open tracker, which one will be used as priority #1 for uploading from me to peer?
    Last edited by postcd; 01-05-2017 at 11:33 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    threelions00's Avatar on a shirt... BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    I could be wrong but I am pretty sure if the torrent has been uploaded as a private torrent to the tracker then it will only upload to that tracker. Rare that torrents are set to both

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    if you have both trackers added to your torrent, it will count the data transferred on the private tracker even if you are uploading to the public tracker. this is a form of ratio manipulation and is a bannable offense if caught. For the private site, it looks like you are spoofing upload. if you remove the private tracker from the announce it will not count the upload on the private site and you will be fine.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    thx for answers

Quote Originally Posted by threelions00 View Post
    Rare that torrents are set to both
    Isn't this just because seeder added open tracker like copersurfer, internetwarriors, leechersparadise and thanks to that we (seeder and me as a leecher) can interconnect thanks to that even it is private torrent?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    The language barrier is strong, but I think you are talking about what 1000possibleclaws referenced. If so that is a BAD idea.
    DO NOT PM me 4 invites thanks

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Admin of the private tracker based on this script was saying that this whole thing [private torrent "enhanced" (depends on a point of view) by open trackers] is possible, because the person who add the open tracker/s to private torrent will serve as a tracker itself between private and public users. He said it in different language so it may not be accurate explanation.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Admin of the private tracker based on this script was saying that this whole thing [private torrent "enhanced" (depends on a point of view) by open trackers] is possible, because the person who add the open tracker/s to private torrent will serve as a tracker itself between private and public users. He said it in different language so it may not be accurate explanation.
    The admin is talking shit.

I have to add that I dont think you understand what a private tracker is and what the differences between public and private .torrents are.

You seem to be confusing sites that you need to sign up for with private trackers. A site you sign up for can use public trackers, but a private site actively seeks to restrict the availability/fucnctionality of its .torrents to only its members.

You can tell the difference between public trackers and private trackers in the tracker format they use as actual private trackers will have a passkey method.

A quick and dirty explanation here... *(yes I know it is more complex than this)

If you are on an actual private tracker then they take active steps to prevent their private .torrent's being merged into public torrent swarms. The key step is the addition of a passkey into the .torrent, then they use scripts they run to detect multiple IP accesses on the same passkey, too many IP's detected on your passkey gets you are banned from private tracker and that passkey no longer works...as does both uploading and downloading on the same passkey at the same time which is what you would always be doing if you put your passkey on a public .torrent file.

Your tracker list with both public and private trackers would look like what is below, the aaabbbcccddd is the passkey and is made up for this example, and the port number varies but is :80 in this example, hxxp is used to prevent made up links working:

hxxp://tracker.private1.org/announce.php?passkey=aaabbbcccddd
    hxxps://tracker.private2.org/aaabbbcccddd/announce
    hxxp://tracker.public1.org:80/announce
    hxxp://public2.org:80/announce
    hxxp://random.name.here.public99.org:80/announce

First two are examples of private, last three are public

If there is no passkey then it is not a private tracker...there are plenty of sites that you are required to sign up to that dont have passkeys and these are not private trackers even if you need to sign up to them.

If you do not have a valid passkey then the private tracker rejects all requests for peer lists and will give you an error message in the tracker status.
    Last edited by smcewa11; 02-18-2018 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LSS #1