Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSL/TLS encryption for the site?

stryk's Avatar Poster

Question Mark

Hey there, sysop dudes

I don't know what kind of infrastructure FST is running on, but I was curious if you might be thinking about implementing TLS encryption for the web server?

Have you thought about using letsencrypt.org ? I believe you can get a free signed cert now

Something I was just thinking about. Thanks

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    If it doesn't bring in more money, I don't think the site overlord cares.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    stryk's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    If it doesn't bring in more money, I don't think the site overlord cares.
    Damn.. it's like that? Is this just hyperbole or are you serious?

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I was, though not apparently, staff here and as far as I know the site is one giant mosquito but without a mosquito's inherent humanity.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    stryk's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I was, though not apparently, staff here and as far as I know the site is one giant mosquito but without a mosquito's inherent humanity.
    That's fantastic. Care to translate that into something that even remotely resembles useful information? I don't have the willingness, desire, patience, or energy to try and decipher some silly obfuscated "meta" comment right now. I just wanna know if the person or persons who actually run this shit truly and genuinely give a damn about the safety of his/her users, and would even care to implement some (relatively) basic form of security. Thanks

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by stryk View Post
    That's fantastic. Care to translate that into something that even remotely resembles useful information? I don't have the willingness, desire, patience, or energy to try and decipher some silly obfuscated "meta" comment right now. I just wanna know if the person or persons who actually run this shit truly and genuinely give a damn about the safety of his/her users, and would even care to implement some (relatively) basic form of security. Thanks
    Has anyone remotely with authority answered you stryk??
    So even know that answer that Idol chose to give you would have the meaning of Fuck NO!!!
    Or if you want to go further in your quest try the PM method to someone important and wait for a response with anticipation....

And that in no way do i think your request is ridiculous or impractical or maybe the powers that be may or may not think the same...
    All i can say is good luck
    Last edited by shaina; 01-17-2016 at 07:33 PM.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    While they're at it could someone in "authority" please let me know why almost everyone on this site and specifically NZBers are such fucking assholes?

Also my sincerest apologies for being all "meta" and intruding on your own private "it's all about me" party.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    While they're at it could someone in "authority" please let me know why almost everyone on this site and specifically NZBers are such fucking assholes?
    Also my sincerest apologies for being all "meta" and intruding on your own private "it's all about me" party.
    That is not necessary Idol....Your sense of humor or the way you respond to a request may be unorthodox at times (or fucking out in left field!!!), so i just tried to explain or interpret (at least i hope i was right!!), what you were trying to say
    No need for name calling for dumb asses that have been here since 2010 and has 43 posts and decides now that the security is a little light here and should be changed or actually know how things are done here or if anybody really cares...

PS.. I did almost fall off my chair on the Dumb asses request, but this is a Democracy right
    And my apologies stryk for the Dumb ASS thing... My fingers had a mind of its own and just starting typing that
    Last edited by shaina; 01-17-2016 at 08:17 PM.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    stryk's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post
    That is not necessary Idol....Your sense of humor or the way you respond to a request may be unorthodox at times (or fucking out in left field!!!), so i just tried to explain or interpret (at least i hope i was right!!), what you were trying to say
    No need for name calling for dumb asses that have been here since 2010 and has 43 posts and decides now that the security is a little light here and should be changed or actually know how things are done here or if anybody really cares...

PS.. I did almost fall off my chair on the Dumb asses request, but this is a Democracy right
    And my apologies stryk for the Dumb ASS thing... My fingers had a mind of its own and just starting typing that
    just because i've been here since 2010 and my post count is only 43 that means i'm a dumb ass? Evidently uploads to the NZB section don't tally in the "post count" because I've sure as hell contributed a lot of those... -- I've never noticed because it doesn't matter, who cares about post count? I just don't do the forum thing... precisely because of nonsense like this. I ask a serious technical question (of the admins, mind you) that is certainly relevant to the subject mater of the site, and I get some horseshit 'HAHA look at my eccentric sense of humor' response. Whether or not individual users care or not is not relevant, this is why I addressed it to the sysop/admin of the site -- and he/she sure as shit better care. the fact is all users SHOULD care very much, security is paramount, especially these days. I guess you're right though - I should have PM'd this request to someone that matters.

It's a cosmic god damn mystery why the other guy "was, although not apparently" staff around here -- it looks like he treats the entire forum like his whole "private, it's all about me party" ... how dare I not revel in his hilarious off-kilter quips from left field?! ... please

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by shaina View Post

just because i've been here since 2010 and my post count is only 43 that means i'm a dumb ass? Evidently uploads to the NZB section don't tally in the "post count" because I've sure as hell contributed a lot of those... -- I've never noticed because it doesn't matter, who cares about post count? I just don't do the forum thing... precisely because of nonsense like this. I ask a serious technical question (of the admins, mind you) that is certainly relevant to the subject mater of the site, and I get some horseshit 'HAHA look at my eccentric sense of humor' response. Whether or not individual users care or not is not relevant, this is why I addressed it to the sysop/admin of the site -- and he/she sure as shit better care. the fact is all users SHOULD care very much, security is paramount, especially these days. I guess you're right though - I should have PM'd this request to someone that matters.
    It's a cosmic god damn mystery why the other guy "was, although not apparently" staff around here -- it looks like he treats the entire forum like his whole "private, it's all about me party" ... how dare I not revel in his hilarious off-kilter quips from left field?! ... please
    Again i understand you do contribute in the NZB section and as a poster in the forum i still debate what the purpose of this site really is??
    Again i don't use the NZB section here i pay for private sites, but i do know who you are and respect what you do for this site..(Gribley will vouch for me LOL!!)
    But it is the same old question?? What is the purpose of this site?? Talk (be it information or just plain kill time bullshit!!), or a NZB retrieving place??
    No one answers that question because no one cares!!(no offense to you). The place is called "File Sharing TALK", not come get your free NZB's so what is really important here people like Idol or you??(again no disrespect to what you contribute!!)
    The smart ass comments from me were just to say you have been here for a long time(well longer than myself that is), and now you decide to pipe up about security??
    If you mainly post/contribute in the NZB section?? Why the hell would anyone hack you??!! Wouldn't you think Idol would be a bigger target than you??
    I could tell you there would be a long list of things that could be done, but it falls on deaf ears...
    And yes Idol does hijack a lot of forum posts, but to be honest, you could fall into it ,or ignore it, to me that is a Democracy!!! and i can tell you he is not going to stop in the near future doing it, so say la vi right...

And i did try to help with the PM suggestion, and reasons of you may have a better chance...(with a few obnoxious add ons)
    Just remember anywhere other than the Word section and the NZB section (Idol hates them both with a passion!!!) you are in a straight line for an Idol attack...But i can tell you most of the time they are harmless, even know you are not the first guy to be hostile/angry about it....

I hope someone with authority does listen to your thoughts...And yes you can say whatever the heck you want!!

Regards
    Shay

PS. Ask yourself... why fix something that is not broken?? And i would assume preventative maintenance is not on the near future table......
    Last edited by shaina; 01-18-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast