Thread: Help with Windows Update Error

Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    For the past month, I have not been able to update Windows 10 on my 2-3yr old laptop. When I click the start menu to shut down, it says I have to install updates (I cannot say no, I cannot shut down properly) if I run the update it takes about 15-20mins then says "Unable to finish updates, Undoing changes..." and another 20mins later I'm at my desktop, with Windows telling me I have updates ready to install!

In order to shut my laptop off, I just signout of my user account and then press the power button, though I know that's probably not good, I feel like my comp is stressing out over not restarting properly Sometimes I'll walk away from my laptop while in the middle of something and return just a few minutes later, to find that Windows has decided to restart and begins attempting to update, forces me to wait an hour to tell me it can't update, and I have my settings so that Windows only goes into standby after 45mins of idle... wtf

I googled "windows update error" but didn't have much luck. The only thing I could find was on the official Microsoft.com webpage, they said to run some Troubleshoot which I downloaded. When I ran the Troubleshoot file it said "Scanning Registry..." for like 10-15mins, then it said "Detected errors with Windows Updater, Would you like to repair the problem?" so I click yes and wait only a couple mins for it to tell me that "it is unable to fix the Windows Updater executable" or something like that... so I'm not sure what to do now.

I also noticed something isn't working with my Windows "Apps". I never use Apps and don't even want Apps on my laptop, but none of them work lately and I know that they used to. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I think I can't update or repair Windows files because my Apps are screwing it up or something. What can I do, I want the latest Windows Update!
    Last edited by Bowen747x; 04-27-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    tYiA

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    This is worth a try. Also, shutdown -s -t 0 -f should let you shut down your computer without installing updates (unless they've changed that).

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but when this sort of "mystery" problems start happening, I know it's time to back everything up and do a fresh install. If you have the time for it, I'd recommend going with the LTSB edition of Windows 10.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks, I'm trying that tool right now, I selected 2. Reset Windows Update (it offered many options) and it said it was successful... not sure yet though I'll update in a few

EDIT:
    and 45 mins later... I'm not sure if I did it right but that tool did not help
    I honestly wouldnt mind doing a clean install... just not sure if I should or even where to begin

what about a system restore? I'll try that first I guess... nvm windows says I can't go back to an earlier build because my PC was "upgraded" more than 10 days ago (...?) so I guess I can do a "reset" to reinstall windows without losing files, or theres another option to do a complete fresh install, but I don't want to lose my drivers
    Last edited by Bowen747x; 04-27-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    tYiA

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Image.png

Try options 2 and 3. If that doesn't work, look up generation2's uploads on TPB and grab the most up-to-date English Windows 10 ISO

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Try options 2 and 3. If that doesn't work, look up generation2's uploads on TPB and grab the most up-to-date English Windows 10 ISO
    Keep it simple. No need to get a potentially questionable OS from TPB.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...allation-media
    Last edited by Caballero; 04-27-2017 at 01:26 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
    Keep it simple. No need to get a potentially questionable OS from TPB.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...allation-media
    His stuff is reliable, I've been using it for years. Of course, the do-it-yourself approach trumps anything else, if you have the time and knowledge

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Image.png

the image you posted is different than what I am seeing

Here is what I see...

My 2 is your 7, and your 2 and 3 is my 5 and 6, so I guess I was supposed to use 5 and 6 before using 2?

I probably should have used this 16 to restart instead of clicking shutdown on the startmenu

What about 8 Repair image and or 12 search updates? It almost seems like I should just go through each one
    Last edited by Bowen747x; 04-27-2017 at 05:28 PM.
    tYiA

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowen747x View Post
    My 2 is your 7, and your 2 and 3 is my 5 and 6, so I guess I was supposed to use 5 and 6 before using 2?
    Indeed, ScanNow and ScanHealth are the ones I was referring to. But you did them in the right order, i.e. first attempt to repair Windows Update, then look for more serious trouble with other system files.

What about 8 Repair image and or 12 search updates?
    Also worth trying.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    1. try this tool http://download.wsusoffline.net/ thsi tool downloads update from windows server . notice to creat an iso file in the settings. after finish load the iso file ...

2. windows tool http://www.smartredirect.de/redir/cl...-was-tun_37344

3. http://www.pcwelt.de/downloads/PC-WE...64.html#popup1

4 all in one runtime packet https://www.sereby.org/site/downloads https://www.computerbase.de/download...-one-runtimes/ <<<<< this is very nice tool >>>>

try this before you delet your windows !!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Hello Bowen747x,

Try CompleteInternetRepair first, this small prog will help repair and reset your IP stack and windows updates quickly without you having to do it all manually, also to easily repair most of the issues you may have that has caused it try "Windows Repair Pro", it will take some time for repair Pro but will be worth it. take a look you may find a demo ver. for testing here.

Hope This Helps,