Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Formal English

BANNED
    Originally posted by UKMan+25 November 2003 - 12:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UKMan @ 25 November 2003 - 12:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ramon37@25 November 2003 - 12:07
    For a lot of people in this forum, english is not our own language, so we can find very hard to understand you, when you use very informal expressions, that are very familar to you, but unknown for us. I think, we&#39;ll be very grateful if you only use formal english, so that we can understand everything.
    Thanks
    Where are you from by the way?

Unfortunately this is impossible to control - as you may understand, there are thousands who are members and all from different country&#39;s. Its bad enough trying to stop them from posting garbage, let alone speak properly

Your point is well taken though, but i fear you are not gonna be pleased. Try to find some other members of your nationality here and exchange views and problems with them. The Dutch certainly do

Peace
    UKMan [/b][/quote]
    haha i agree with that one

2. Lounge   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ~FunK_mOb~@25 November 2003 - 05:44
    Or get yourself a dictionairy(serious)
    Always a good way to broaden(<used dictionairy for this one ) your vocabulairy.Asking everyone to use simple words won&#39;t help you much with learning and better understanding englisch(<didn&#39;t use a dictionairy for this one...and it shows ).
    While you had the dictionary out...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Thanks, UKMan, I am from Spain, and I go to England once or twice a year, I have three grandchildren that live in Manchester. I seldom have problems with my english. One year ago they lived in Newcastle, and that was a bit harder. There is KaZaadores, is like this forum but in spanish; I used to enter both. For me, this is the last time I enter this forum. I had a wrong idea of people.
    Thanks Tracyman, but I&#39;ve been plenty of times in UK, more times in France, in Belgium, in Holland, where I live for a while, in Germany many times, in Italy, in the States, seven times, in Argentina, in Chile, in Portugal, etc. Do you think I have travelled enough? But I repeat, thanks, I think you understood what I meant and what my problem was.
    Thanks Funk_mOb, but I have The American English Learner&#39;s dictonary (1085 pages), The new Oxford Dictonary of English (2152 pages), Collins Dictonary (1290 pages), Larousse (1079 pages), The Tony Thorpe Dictionary of Contemporary Slang (583 pages), The Penguin Dictonary of English Idioms, and some others. Do you really think the problem is my dictonary? Please, be honest.
    Virtualbody1234, YOU ARE RIGHT.
    3rd gen noob. Do you know what formal english mean? INNUENDO IS FORMAL ENGLISH, and I bet I knew the word long before you were born.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 17:16

Thanks Funk_mOb, but I have The American English Learner&#39;s dictonary (1085 pages), The new Oxford Dictonary of English (2152 pages), Collins Dictonary (1290 pages), Larousse (1079 pages), The Tony Thorpe Dictionary of Contemporary Slang (583 pages), The Penguin Dictonary of English Idioms, and some others. Do you really think the problem is my dictonary? Please, be honest.
    I was merely making a suggestion,not really saying this would solve it all.
    Anyway,I&#39;m quite impressed with your collection of dictionairies.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 17:16
    Thanks, UKMan, I am from Spain, and I go to England once or twice a year, I have three grandchildren that live in Manchester. I seldom have problems with my english. One year ago they lived in Newcastle, and that was a bit harder. There is KaZaadores, is like this forum but in spanish; I used to enter both. For me, this is the last time I enter this forum. I had a wrong idea of people.
    I am sorry to hear that you will not be joining us again. Please do not let yourself be upset by a few uncivilised remarks. This is an international forum and as such, attracts everyone and everything <------yepp - thing&#33;

If you visit Manchester every year, then your knowledge of the English language is very complex - ha ha.

I understand what you are trying to say though, there is a language used by many on these boards that has been born out of the IT virtual world of typing not talking. Trying to understand all these different phrases can be cumbersome to say the least. Also, of course, the usuall foul mouthed individual and thoughtless remark will allways seep through.

I urge you to reconsider, as there are many here who would enjoy your company.

Peace
    UKMan

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by UKMan@25 November 2003 - 17:37
    I urge you to reconsider, as there are many here who would enjoy your company.
    I know i would

I love different cultures, brings life to a place.

ramon37, there are very few people in the forum that use informal language, so please stay B)

7. Lounge   -   #17
    So we all have to use formal language in this forum, like the Queen&#39;s English, now do we??&#33;&#33;

One will be extremely obliged to do so &#33;&#33;&#33; LOL&#33;&#33;

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 15:16
    3rd gen noob. Do you know what formal english mean? INNUENDO IS FORMAL ENGLISH, and I bet I knew the word long before you were born.
    calm down...just attempting to be slightly comical (obviously didn&#39;t work then)

and yeah, you are demasiado bien para mi&#33;
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Jayhawk's Avatar Rock Chalk Jayhawk BT Rep: +5
    i dont get half the stuff americans say anyways and i am american so its a lost cause

10. Lounge   -   #20
    My 2 cents:

Writing clearly helps a lot while answering questions or even while holding a decent conversation.

One has to keep in mind that the users are not just "Native English Speakers." To me words can go here and there it doesn&#39;t really make a difference unless I am not able to understand anything about it, which has never happened. So if your reason to leave is that you don&#39;t want to be in a community of people who are from different countries, having different native languages, different cultures...then I am not sure where you are going with this. Your reason is understandable but your post about leaving is kiddish here unless you had another reason.

I am not sure if i would even welcome you if you have an attitude like that. If you have another reason to write about leaving the forum then i apologize.

Otherwise, you know better now, I hope.

Have a nice day&#33;
    I.am
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast