Thread: How to track torrents of a dead private torrent tracker?

Hello,

if a private torrent tracker die, how its users can continue sharing the torrent's data?

Is it needed to
    A) setup new torrent tracker (open or private) and somehow import .torrent files so it can track properly
    B) or is it sufficing if all the people will example add already existing well known open tracker like: http://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce to their torrent clients and when seed will announce to any open tracker, peer can download without problem?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    You could simply make new .torrent's for the various files and upload them to an existing private or public tracker and then tell the other people where the files are. Download the new .torrent into your client, point the client to the data, force recheck, start seeding. A) Setting up a new tracker would be a lot of work that you dont need to do. B) If you mean adding the public tracker url to a private tracker .torrent it will not work as the private flag is set and afaik this wont work with public trackers as the private flag prevents public trackers from using it as they will not send any authentication details or peer lists.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by smcewa11 View Post
    If you mean adding the public tracker url to a private tracker .torrent it will not work as the private flag is set and afaik this wont work with public trackers as the private flag prevents public trackers from using it as they will not send any authentication details or peer lists.
    I think that this may not be true, because i think i was able to download this way. Removed private tracker from the torrent, added public trackers and these shown 2+ peers and if i remember right i was able to download torrent contents this way. Here is the issue discused: https://filesharingtalk.com/threads/...-open-trackers
    Last edited by postcd; 02-17-2018 at 02:11 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smcewa11 View Post
    If you mean adding the public tracker url to a private tracker .torrent it will not work as the private flag is set and afaik this wont work with public trackers as the private flag prevents public trackers from using it as they will not send any authentication details or peer lists.
    I think that this may not be true, because i think i was able to download this way. Removed private tracker from the torrent, added public trackers and these shown 2+ peers and if i remember right i was able to download torrent contents this way. Here is the issue discused: https://filesharingtalk.com/threads/...-open-trackers
    You need to stop the .torrent in the client after removing the private tracker from the tracker list. This will reset the peer list and remove the private tracker peers. Then it will not download from that private tracker.

Trackers run scripts to detect this, you are very likely to be banned for doing it.
    LSS #1