Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Astraweb has stopped accepting Paypal as a form of payment

Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    As a different provider free-usenet (not so free for real use) accepts crypto currencies and one of the backbones is Astraweb.... not sure Astraweb is a plus point as far as my experience goes but hey it is there. You get Astraweb, get to use virtual coins and have a few other providers thrown in as a bonus.

I use the above. However lets play the throw away card numbers game: I use a virtual card via Entropay. Has real money against it but you can throw it away (del) and create new numbers as needed, rather handy for the more monthly free trial type stuff but does also give you that extra one level buffer between you and a real card.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    As a different provider free-usenet (not so free for real use) accepts crypto currencies and one of the backbones is Astraweb.... not sure Astraweb is a plus point as far as my experience goes but hey it is there. You get Astraweb, get to use virtual coins and have a few other providers thrown in as a bonus.

I use the above. However lets play the throw away card numbers game: I use a virtual card via Entropay. Has real money against it but you can throw it away (del) and create new numbers as needed, rather handy for the more monthly free trial type stuff but does also give you that extra one level buffer between you and a real card.
    Probably better than paypal then. Never sure if the reason that other payment methods is wanted because they don't trust giving card details to the organisation or because of some level of anonymity. Surely paypal does not give the latter, and many ISP use 3rd party interactions for the card payments so never actually see your card number themselves.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by nQQ View Post
    Never sure if the reason that other payment methods is wanted because they don't trust giving card details to the organisation or because of some level of anonymity. Surely paypal does not give the latter, and many ISP use 3rd party interactions for the card payments so never actually see your card number themselves.
    Good point, but Netflix for instance do at least verify the token if not the number directly to check if you`ve already had your free trial month. This is where the virtual card comes in handy in that you create a new number, move your small balance (I keep £10 on it) over and destroy the then "used" card. In combination with a disposable email address - unlimited Netflix albeit with the hassle of setting up each month

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    Never sure if the reason that other payment methods is wanted because they don't trust giving card details to the organisation or because of some level of anonymity. Surely paypal does not give the latter, and many ISP use 3rd party interactions for the card payments so never actually see your card number themselves.
    Good point, but Netflix for instance do at least verify the token if not the number directly to check if you`ve already had your free trial month. This is where the virtual card comes in handy in that you create a new number, move your small balance (I keep £10 on it) over and destroy the then "used" card. In combination with a disposable email address - unlimited Netflix albeit with the hassle of setting up each month
    I have a relative who pays and set my TV up to is their a/c so free for me too. The virtual card sounds intriguing, so long as they are accepted and you cater in the transfer fees and avoid dormancy.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    ...transfer fees and avoid dormancy.
    With them so far I can xfer to wallet and back out to new card without cost. Not sure if they`ll steal my £10 if I don`t use the card enough but for them it is just interest in the bank so doubt that will be an issue but to be fair for £10 I couldn`t be arsed to read all the T&C

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    It would be interesting to see how CPA is handled, i.e. recurring subscription

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    It would be interesting to see how CPA is handled, i.e. recurring subscription
    They`ll pre-auth for the first monthly amount just like 'flix I assume.... that is released (with them instantly, but others like Amazon seems to take the full week to auto rollback) and I move the funds off the card before it can ever be settled. Trash it and wait for the next month to start up anew with another Nada email and humerus name I can think to subscribe as

Guess it all depends on the merchant, may or may not work in your situation but does for 'flix and amazon UK (kindle unlimited, not tried prime myself)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12