Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eMule still alive?

Poster BT Rep: +1

Heart

haven't used eMule since wayyy back in the day. i'm thinking of jumping on again. i poked around the eMule FAQ sticky but even there everything is a few years old. is eMule still alive and well and is there a server list you guys recommend? there used to be a preferred set of settings as well, any updates on that?

thanks.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Just yesterday I was cleaning out my closet and came across old cds with old programs like Kazaa and other similar sharing progrms. I wondered if any one was still using these for file sharing. Last I looked and this was years ago IIRC they seemed loaded w/ spam and malware.

I never used them. But I had young nephews who did and I think ended up d/ling viruses onto their parents' computers. Which then I was called on to clean up.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    lol. the mistake there was using kazaa. eMule was clean if had the right server lists.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    For a good server list, see http://www.emule-security.org/e107_p....php?0.cat.6.5

You still have to configure good settings for your connection and run eMule 24/7 if you want to get anywhere, that hasn't changed. The good news is that you now have the possibility of getting a $20 router with OpenWrt and USB support, plug an external hard disk to it, install the aMule package and leave it running all the time, with minimal power consumption and without having to keep your computer turned on.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    cool beans.

i seed 24/7 with a NAS anyway so, no issues there.

thanks for the link

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Blast from the past, however wouldn't you be better of with P2P or Usenet? Just askin :-)

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Emule is slow as a mule. There was only one time when i needed it when i was searching for something which was nowhere to be found , not on torrents , usenet . And it took me 1 week for some MB of file

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Is there really anyone out there who uses Emule. last time I recall using Emule was at least 10 years ago. Especially the download speed sucks big time.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    To be fair, Emule was a stepping stone to better things. It was where the likes of Kademlia was first implemented into a sharing network as a forerunner of other serverless/decentralised protocols. As with any other sharing network it relies on enough people out there doing enough sharing to keep the files viable. As soon as it goes out of fashion and user numbers drop, it becomes harder for the network to supply the files you want, and people move to other, newer products with better sharing protocols.

It may be still be noodling along in some corners of the internet for historical reasons, but it's been superseded a long time ago for modern P2P users.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Thumbs up if you downloaded "matrix2.avi" from eMule in 2002
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast