Thread: IP Address

Prior's Avatar Cub-A-Holic
    Just got scared sh*tless by a warning from my ISP about copyright infringement. So I purchased nordVPN and turned on the P2P setting. I then downloaded an IP magnet link. This link, both on a webpage and on the status section of the tracker, displayed the VPN IP address as the one I am using for utorrent.

So with that in mind is my actual IP address safe from being seen when downloading via utorrent? Thanks.

Also could someone explain how the P2P option works for NordVPN? I'm impressed that a simple button could be clicked on NordVPN and it instantly alters the way utorrent functions.
    Last edited by Prior; 11-06-2017 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Yes your public IP is safe, in fact I would make sure they don't log anything. Pubic IP will always point to your ISP hence your computer. Newsgroups are some what safer because your not using your IP to share with 1000's of others. P2P pretty much reroutes you to other servers around the world. Another way of protecting you.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroC00l View Post
    Yes your public IP is safe, in fact I would make sure they don't log anything. Pubic IP will always point to your ISP hence your computer. Newsgroups are some what safer because your not using your IP to share with 1000's of others. P2P pretty much reroutes you to other servers around the world. Another way of protecting you.
    Would you recommend using a doubleVPN? I know the killswitch feature of a VPN should protect the user from certain programs exposing the real IP address, however I'm worry about the latancy of the process.

Essentially what I'm asking is if the doubleVPN provides 100 percent certainty of the real IP always being blocked, since both of the IP's in the doublevpn would have to go down at once for the process to fail.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I've had multiple letters over the years, just ignored them, they are a scare tactic.

The authorities really aren't bothered about the end user, they are after the torrent site operators, who, more often than not, make a lot of money from their sites.

I use newsgroups myself, as the connection between myself and the provider is encrypted, so they may know I'm accessing a newsgroup server but not know what for. But then again the usenet scene is getting harder and harder, with releases so hidden only a select few can get to them, and providers (SSL News) and boards being taken down.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroC00l View Post
    Pubic IP
    Heh heh.

Anyway, double VPN is overkill. Use a single good one and and run some leak tests to make sure it's actually good (I'd posted a link before, but without any context).

I never tried this provider in question, so I can't answer the other questions.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by witchking42 View Post
    I've had multiple letters over the years, just ignored them, they are a scare tactic.

The authorities really aren't bothered about the end user, they are after the torrent site operators, who, more often than not, make a lot of money from their sites.

I use newsgroups myself, as the connection between myself and the provider is encrypted, so they may know I'm accessing a newsgroup server but not know what for. But then again the usenet scene is getting harder and harder, with releases so hidden only a select few can get to them, and providers (SSL News) and boards being taken down.
    So the odds of getting sued for downloading torrents is slim, even after receiving an email from your ISP? I bought the VPN a few days ago anyways. Nord had a sale where if you buy a two year package the monthly cost is slightly above three dollars.

Although for whatever reason I cant get a connection with utorrent or bitlord. Nord recommended an app called qbittorent. That program actually worked. Confused as to why utorrent and bitlord didn't work though.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    At the bbc uk site, they warn that iplayer will not work for IP addys not in the UK nor for known ipn addys.
    Are there any VPNs who's uk ip addy is relatively safe? or are they all known to bbc?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by wtj View Post
    At the bbc uk site, they warn that iplayer will not work for IP addys not in the UK nor for known ipn addys.
    Are there any VPNs who's uk ip addy is relatively safe? or are they all known to bbc?
    iPlayer works with Nord VPN. It is one of the Best VPN that I am glad I had made the decision to buy. It is a bit heavy on the pocket, but it does the Job, not only the BBC iPlayer also Netflix is accessible.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by witchking42 View Post
    Same.

Just try to avoid downloads on public sites.