Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPN Speed

Prior's Avatar Cub-A-Holic
    Just signed up for NordVPN and noticed a drastic decline in performance. My normal download speed is slightly under 24 mbps'. With Nord it is 4.21 mbps. Should I expect any VPN I sign up for to cut my speed by this much?

If not any other VPN recommendations? Also I would just need the VPN for torrenting in case that matters. Thanks.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    On a good day IPVanish gives me around 70Mpbs on a normal 75Mbps when sticking to VPN UK servers... not bad for $69 for a year when I took it out. I would love to say it is always that good but more often it hovers around 40/45Mbps and can require a bit of hunting around for the best server.

If I slap OpenVPN connection on router itself then due to crappy SoC (converted Homehub 5A to LEDE) on my router it tops out at 12Mbps. Router way is nice since it covers every device but really you need to invest in the hardware to make it viable unless you don`t mind the 50% drop on your connection speed.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    If I slap OpenVPN connection on router itself then due to crappy SoC (converted Homehub 5A to LEDE) on my router it tops out at 12Mbps. Router way is nice since it covers every device but really you need to invest in the hardware to make it viable unless you don`t mind the 50% drop on your connection speed.

Attachment 178480

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Some slowdown is always to be expected. Pick a different server (those which have faster connection speeds and are physically close to you should be preferred) and see if things improve.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    I was thinking of going the router way. Right now I'm using an ASUS RT-N66U. I might upgrade to the ASUS RT-AC87U if the router will make a difference with speed.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    I find it strange for NordVPN dropping speeds. As per this VPN speed test I just read Nord VPN tops the list.

The best part I liked about the test is that they have done it all manually.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    I guess speed can be different on whether you install the VPN software on the device you use or use VPN service on router. I'm thinking of trying NordVPN. I can test both ways with the same server and see how much of a difference it makes.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    BANNED
    We tested 70+ VPN speed using speedtest.net. We used 100 Mbps up and 55 Mbps down Internet connection (cable).

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rotansharma View Post
    We tested 70+ VPN speed using speedtest.net. We used 100 Mbps up and 55 Mbps down Internet connection (cable).
    What were the results?

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Once I too experienced the same, so I changed the server for some while and then after coming back to the previous server it worked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast