Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Concealing IP address from VPN provider

Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    I do program but Linux based systems are like going back to the stone age of DOS.... sad people with beards and sandals think it good to type instead of click.

Just remember opkg update and opkg list-upgradable. And there was a problem with apt-get? who knows, bloody linux hippy arse people.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribley View Post
    I do program but Linux based systems are like going back to the stone age of DOS.... sad people with beards and sandals think it good to type instead of click.

Just remember opkg update and opkg list-upgradable. And there was a problem with apt-get? who knows, bloody linux hippy arse people.
    True.
    I'm a "keep it simple" kind of guy. May be an excuse for my lack of programming though

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Just a suggestion for all the users looking forward to getting a VPN service to follow these 6 ways to choose a VPN.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    It should not be on encryption, just go with anyone. Everyone uses AES256. Is serpent better yes but then so is two fish.... you really need to read the white papers on this stuff if you are interested. P-box, s-box join the group.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Considering I just read through the wiki for the software and didn't feel like a Jedi of Networking after doing so, what super powers does it have for those of us who are generally networking phobic?
    Pretty much all of them

Run programs on your router, including VPN, torrent clients and servers. Remap ports to create isolated networks or turn the WAN port into an additional LAN. Reprogram LEDs, buttons and sliders to act however you want. Make it work as a range extender without spending extra money on an actual range extender (which is essentially a crippled router with reduced features sold at a premium). Use any kind of USB device, including storage, modems, printers, cameras, sound cards, whatever. And much, much more... almost anything networking related or doable by a "real" computer, and almost any device that has Linux support, you can do and use with OpenWrt. Not to mention the security benefits of running firmware that is reviewed, tested and updated regularly, instead of some stock image where you don't know what's inside or how old it is.

The only downsides are that not all routers are compatible (though most are) and it has a learning curve. You only get minimum functionality out of the box, and have to be willing to spend some time making things work. But it's worth it.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Considering I just read through the wiki for the software and didn't feel like a Jedi of Networking after doing so, what super powers does it have for those of us who are generally networking phobic?
    Pretty much all of them

Run programs on your router, including VPN, torrent clients and servers. Remap ports to create isolated networks or turn the WAN port into an additional LAN. Reprogram LEDs, buttons and sliders to act however you want. Make it work as a range extender without spending extra money on an actual range extender (which is essentially a crippled router with reduced features sold at a premium). Use any kind of USB device, including storage, modems, printers, cameras, sound cards, whatever. And much, much more... almost anything networking related or doable by a "real" computer, and almost any device that has Linux support, you can do and use with OpenWrt. Not to mention the security benefits of running firmware that is reviewed, tested and updated regularly, instead of some stock image where you don't know what's inside or how old it is.

The only downsides are that not all routers are compatible (though most are) and it has a learning curve. You only get minimum functionality out of the box, and have to be willing to spend some time making things work. But it's worth it.
    All great things, but as I said before, very few people will ever use those features. Most people will just screw things up playing around with all those new settings available. Then they will be asking you a ton of questions to fix it.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post

Pretty much all of them

All great things, but as I said before, very few people will ever use those features. Most people will just screw things up playing around with all those new settings available. Then they will be asking you a ton of questions to fix it.
    I'm very found of user-friendly interfaces because my way of setting parameters related to routers and network is entropic... The more I click, the more it stinks.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post
    Most people will just screw things up playing around with all those new settings available.
    Which is a good way to learn! I don't think what you're saying is invalid, though. Sometimes not having to think too much is an advantage

Oh, and there is also a third way: Gargoyle. It attempts to combine the usability of stock firmware with the power of OpenWrt, and I would say it's very much successful.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Poster
    Which is a good way to learn! I don't think what you're saying is invalid, though. Sometimes not having to think too much is an advantage
    Agreed. In terms of learning, there are some technical skills needed that a wrong setting can compromise...

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Oh, and there is also a third way: Gargoyle.
    Never heard of that one, year out of date compared to main branch of OpenWRT but interesting alternative if your router supports I guess

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast