Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealing IP address from VPN provider

Primrose
    Is there a way to conceal my real IP from my VPN provider when downloading movies using my bit torrent client?

Thank you
    Last edited by Primrose; 01-03-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: To correct mistake

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    use a vpn. But go for a Paid one.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    ipvanish is working OK for me (drop of about 10% bandwidth). My little odroid torrent box works fine on it`s own as it should. My kodi RaspPi are also happy with VPNManager doing the deed (underlying just openvpn)

If you need a bit of help setting up Debian and Deluge then just ask.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Is there a way to conceal my real IP from my VPN provider when downloading movies using my bit torrent client?
    If you don't trust your VPN provider with your real IP address, then why are you willing to trust them with your online activities, which is far more specific and potentially compromising?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Double vpn is the only way. Or a seedbox/vpn combo which I suppose means there is more than one way.
    LSS #1

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    It's a good question, what if the $3 a month VPN provider is ultimately owned (or pwned) by an industry association or a trolling law firm. Or by common criminals. I'm not suggesting that anybody do it, but if everybody piggybacked, and rotated their usage often, the question might be less pointed. Incidentally, in the Wikipedia article "Legality of piggybacking" , most of the references are over a decade old ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_piggybacking ).

I remember the days when every time you connected to the Internet, you were assigned an IP more or less at random from the ISP's pool. To get a persistent IP, you needed to pay extra. Now, even if the modem is down for a day, the same IP comes back on reconnection.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg987 View Post
    I remember the days when every time you connected to the Internet, you were assigned an IP more or less at random from the ISP's pool. To get a persistent IP, you needed to pay extra. Now, even if the modem is down for a day, the same IP comes back on reconnection.
    I was one of those that paid vast amounts to have a static IP through Demon.... was paying about £50 a month which 20 years ago was a lot for an 512K ADSL line. Life was good back in those days, piracy was not so mainstream and you didn`t need to hide anything. Now you have to take extreme measures just to order your online shop from ASDA without getting logged and recorded somewhere, that is progress for yer

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Some interesting thoughts...

https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
    https://www.goldenfrog.com/blog/myth...-and-anonymity (article written by a commercial provider, but they're transparent about it and it's factually accurate)
    https://restoreprivacy.com/vpn-scams/

Ultimately using a VPN (or any other kind of encrypted "middleman") is not a magic elixir, it just shifts trust from your ISP to the people who run whatever service you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg987 View Post
    I remember when NAT routers were disallowed and you had to pay for an additional public IP for each thing you wanted to get online, how the times have changed

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Just make sure you sign up to a VPN service that has no logging. Nothing is 100%, but we are little fish in a large pond. They really care about the people who have access to pre-retail material and distribute it. Plus the people who make money from providing access to that material.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post
    Just make sure you sign up to a VPN service that has no logging.
    Some of those "no logs" services were caught with their hands on the information they claimed not to keep. Or mentioning that they do log it in their fine print (not sure which is worse). Make sure to do your homework beforehand, and be aware that ultimately, you can't really know if they're lying or not.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast