Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealing IP address from VPN provider

Well, these days the truth doesn't matter and lying is accepted as normal.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Say it truth or deception, the VPN industry is booming. Expected to grow to $36 Billion by 2022. That's Jaw-Dropping.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    FEAR motivates people. Religion and republicans have been using that strategy forever.

As soon as laws are passed to force them to log everything, business will die.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Poster
    For daily activities and work, one thing that I care about is if my connection is secure (encrypted) or not. I subscribe to a vpn provider.

Even though, I downloaded Wireshark to perform a test, and I realized that when my computer had vpn router as gateway (either PPTP or L2TP with encryption ON), some of the information were clean plain texts.
    After that, I started to use this vpn router as gateway only for my xbox.
    Today I have installed the vpn software on my PC and phone (gateway is my ISP), and it truly encrypts. Wireshark doesn't show the information in this case.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post
    ...As soon as laws are passed to force them to log everything, business will die.
    Or they all move to the Netherlands. It is like a pirate radio for the Millennials

I agree with your sentiment but I still use one just to avoid getting that letter through the post saying I`ve been spotted downloading 'Chas and Dave' or something. Unless C&D get back together (I think now dead) and trace me via VPN logs then I think I am safe and didn`t get that crappy be nice letter
    Last edited by Gribley; 09-25-2018 at 04:53 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mariad View Post
    Say it truth or deception, the VPN industry is booming. Expected to grow to $36 Billion by 2022. That's Jaw-Dropping.
    I remember SecureIX and Hotspot Shield 0.937 and when finding even paid services was hard
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by laro_ye View Post
    For daily activities and work, one thing that I care about is if my connection is secure (encrypted) or not. I subscribe to a vpn provider.

Even though, I downloaded Wireshark to perform a test, and I realized that when my computer had vpn router as gateway (either PPTP or L2TP with encryption ON), some of the information were clean plain texts.
    Today I have installed the vpn software on my PC and phone (gateway is my ISP), and it truly encrypts. Wireshark doesn't show the information in this case.
    Which router are you using?

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mariad View Post
    I remember SecureIX and Hotspot Shield 0.937 and when finding even paid services was hard
    I didn't look for a credible source to dispute that claim, but that site has 'dodgy af' written all over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laro_ye View Post

Which router are you using?
    I have 2 linksys, and it happens to both of them. The firmware is tomato by shibby.
    Last edited by laro_ye; 09-25-2018 at 09:15 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I didn't look for a credible source to dispute that claim, but that site has 'dodgy af' written all over it.
    The only ranklist I'd trust is the one on TorrentFreak Even then, they've been accused of bias towards the services that advertise there.

And of course, there's always the possibility of renting a server, then setting up a VPN yourself. That way you know what you have, what you'll get and what's logged, and the only "higher power" you're subject to is the hosting provider.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast