Thread: Number of trackers, how much is too much?

Hello,

if i have:
    500 connections global limit in torrent client (qbittorrent)
    300 torrents added
    4 torrents active (sending/receiving data) and 1 peers per torrent (4 active connections)

How many trackers should i have per torrent?

Is there any math so i can calculate right number?

I think i am obsessed loosing possible seeds by not adding many trackers. Example torrents with 0-1 seeder that are long term Iddle state.

I rather care about availability (having as many seeders as possible) than high speed.

I have list of around 114 trackers that have "Working" status when added into torrent. But i guess many of them tracking common (same) peers.

I am also wondering if there is any tool that can tell me peer IPs per each tracker so i can decide which trackers are usually "redundant".
    Last edited by postcd; 01-10-2017 at 11:51 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    im not sure what you mean by 'tracker'.

people seed thousands of torrents at a time, for example on music sites. i doubt it would be a problem for modern pcs. if you're using specialized sites with large seeder/leecher ratios i do not see an issue. if you are constantly maxing your upload rate then i guess u can just choose what you want to seed by stopping torrents? o.o
    Last edited by 1000possibleclaws; 01-10-2017 at 10:23 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    This sounds like some sort of public torrents thing where you are adding lots of public trackers into the torrents tracker field. There is no connection between number of trackers you add to the number of connections or max active or number of seeding torrents.

Set max active to 256 though as you dont want torrents to be queued; up the peers per torrent to 50 and up the active connection to 50 as you want to connect to people and give them upload or get download.

The number of trackers should not be a problem unless you have slow upload speed but it is worth remembering that tracker communications for 114 trackers with 300 torrents will be significant if you are on adsl (like us on private trackers seeding 34000 single tracker torrents). Add enough torrents and trackers and a slow 1mb upload speed will eventually be choked by tracker communications, something like 200 trackers and 1000 torrents, about 400000 tracker announces per hour, should easily break adsl.

TL;dr? Dump the public trackers shit and join some private trackers, and you wont have to worry about this stuff.
    LSS #1

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by smcewa11 View Post
    something like 200 trackers and 1000 torrents, about 400000 tracker announces per hour, should easily break adsl.
    I am at 626 non-paused torrents now, each has around 40 trackers. Though i am using only ~600kB/s bandwidth (tiny minority is tracker communication) and ~2300 connections at a time. Many trackers does not working (probably some limitation/issue of the torrent client (qbittorrent.org) because other client can connect "not working" trackers without issue.)

Quote Originally Posted by smcewa11 View Post
    join some private trackers, and you wont have to worry about this stuff.
    Except private trackers i use many open trackers because i believe it allows to reach as big audience as possible. Other people confirm this in this article comments.
    Last edited by postcd; 02-20-2018 at 04:54 PM.