Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Great Movies

ShinShin's Avatar Poster
    I have been fortunate to stumble upon some stellar full-feature pictures in recent times.

If you like movies with substance, regardless of their age, but have run out of ideas regarding what to watch, then this list is for you.

In no particular order:

High Noon
    Possibly the best Western ever made, because of an immaculately conceived storyline with no gaping holes or inconsistencies, despite an unexpectedly positive denouement. Short, slightly less than 1.5 hours, with one of Gary Cooper’s best performances.

Loves of a Blonde
    One of Milos Forman’s first films, tells the story of a Czech concert pianist’s dalliances. A refreshingly honest look at a failed and a successful seduction, portraying life in mid-1960s USSR Czechoslovakia. A subtle and hilarious humor permeates the telling of the tale, which also shines a nonjudgmental light on human nature.

Children of Paradise
    A gem made during Vichy occupied France in 1943 by a French Jew, no less, this 3-hour picture retells the lives of theater actors and brigands in 1820s France, centered around the sultry courtesan Garance, played by the inimitable Arletty, and her suitors, Baptiste Debureau, Frederick Lemaitre, Pierre-François Lacenaire, and Edouard de Monteray.

Lawrence of Arabia
    Be sure to watch the Director's Cut digitally restored version, released a few years ago, running at almost 4 hours. Peter O'Toole gives a fine performance as T. E. Lawrence, but so do Alec Guinness as Prince Faisal, Omar Sharif as Sherif Karish, and especially Anthony Quinn as Auda abu Tayi. A romping epic which, if you're willing to ignore the blatant British propaganda, is worth sitting through as you'll be feasted with fantastic desert crossings and skirmishes.

Nosferatu
    A Dracula like you've never seen before, this silent film shows us a shy and subdued Count, awkward in his movements, for whom you feel pity, as it is clear he is cursed but that there was (and still is?) some good in the man, despite his hungers.

Funny Games
    I recommend the German version, released in 1998, not the American one, from 2008. In this movie the German director, Michael Haneke, is poking his finger at what he already felt, 20 years ago, were the potential perils of an excessively PC culture. In the movie he is playing non-stop games with you though, which can get a little unnerving towards the end.

Shot Caller
    While this movie may not have gotten huge distribution or notoriety, it sports great acting, and a very well told story. It shows how a picture-perfect life can be derailed because of one single mistake, and shows a man's descent into the at first impression lawless world of prison gang killings.

To Live and Die in L.A.
    A great 80's crime caper-action crossover with a charismatic lead William L. Peterson LA cop who is addicted to taking risks, with the one and only Willem Dafoe as the counterfeit-moneymaking bad guy.

Naked
    A crudely realistic look at a brilliant cynical young adult artfully played by David Thewlis, who goes around seducing girls and engaging in philosophical rants in early 1990s London.

Apocalypse Now
    The Redux 3.5-hour digitally-remastered version is the one I saw. Visually stunning, emotionally jarring, about the futility of war, with a breathtaking performance from Marlon Brando as the morally bankrupt American General-cum-savage.

On the Waterfront
    Brando carries this 1950s film where you can see his naturalistic/realistic style marking a transition from the overtly melodramatic performances which were until then the norm.

A Streetcar Named Desire
    Another brilliant early Brando film worth watching.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Matthew Broderick's best role, this is a day in the life of an emotionally and psychologically healthy high school senior, who enjoys bringing good energy to those around him. A pleasure to watch his funny and oft daredevil-like antics.

Badlands
    A young Martin Sheen macks on a late-teenage beaut in a small town in the Midwest, and after confronting her father they go off on an adventure. The wide shots of the US's vast unblemished nature 'scapes make this a sumptuous treat.

Days of Heaven
    Terrence Malick's second film after Badlands, this is his best. Perfect acting from a young Richard Gere, as well as the narrator girl Linda Manz. The story of a nefarious love triangle, set in early 20th century rural America. Visually the movie immerses you to a great extent.

The Square
    A Swedish comedy released last year which also looks at the perhaps excessive indulgence in PC in that Scandinavian country. This statement is made through the story of a Contemporary Art Museum Director and the theft of his cellphone which he suffers at the start.
    Last edited by ShinShin; 03-09-2018 at 08:04 PM.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    EriTay's Avatar Poster
    High Noon really is a classic. I'm looking forward to what you will add to the list later!
    »-(¯`·.·´¯)->Business Girl | Tech Nerd | Support @ MyHub <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    The best Best Western is in Moss Point Mississippi but the best Western, with all due respect to High Noon, Shane, The Searchers , Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, Unforgiven and The Wild Bunch is obviously The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

If you wish to disagree you may but I must warn you, them's fighting words. Pilgrim.

Also no The Wages of Fear. What are you non-existentialist or something?
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 03-09-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    You seem to have forgotten Once Upon a Time in the West.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    You seem to have forgotten Once Upon a Time in the West.
    Like I said, Little Big Man.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    To Live and Die in L.A.
    A great 80's crime caper-action crossover with a charismatic lead William L. Peterson LA cop who is addicted to taking risks, with the one and only Willem Dafoe as the counterfeit-moneymaking bad guy.
    Remember when car chases made you feel something besides "Gee that was dumb"? Remember when characters in movies shot with something approaching realistic accuracy?

Second best driving against driving scene ever.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 03-10-2018 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Remember when car chases made you feel something besides "Gee that was dumb"?
    I can even remember far enough back to say the same of De Niro.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Little did we know at the time but Analyze This was a gateway drug.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    He's been Focked ever since...

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    shaina's Avatar Poster
    Little did we know at the time but Analyze This was a gateway drug.
    I think we should Analyze That

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    He's been Focked ever since...
    Now that was a Gaylord comment
    Last edited by shaina; 03-10-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Stehle's Avatar Poster
    I love this thread... I think it is relevant especially in this day of CGI too.

I will comment on it after some deep pondering.

(Great list and topic ShinShin!)
    Last edited by Stehle; 03-10-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: 'nuff said.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast