Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 vs Windows 10

I'm thinking of installing a new boot drive (SSD NVMe using PCIe adapter) for my main computer. I've been using Windows 7 since RTM was released. I haven't really looked at Windows 10 at all. I know I don't like how it keeps track of everything you do. Are their any advantages of using it over Windows 7? I'm not a gamer, anymore. UT 2004 was last big game I played. I don't care about syncing shit up to other devices. I don't use Facebook, Twitter, or any of that other shit. I know eventually I will have to run Windows 10 when M$ completely stops supporting Windows 7. Hopefully microsoft will delay that date since more people use 7 vs 10, but then they did end XP (except for rare situations).

Any thoughts?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Caballero's Avatar Hung Like A Horse
    Are security patches a big deal to you?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post
    I know eventually I will have to run Windows 10 when M$ completely stops supporting Windows 7.
    Says who? So many people are using Windows 9x to this day, keeping it alive and up with the times through unofficial patches. The same will happen to XP when 2019 rolls around, and eventually, 7.

Also, "end of support" doesn't mean "end of the world". Yes, if a security hole is found you will no longer get an update to plug it... but the vulnerabilities that can still affect you if you have good security practices and don't rely on outdated or superfluous programs (like the Internet Explorer 8 engine or Flash Player) are very few. WannaCry was one of those few, mind you, which is why it gained so much notoriety, to the point of Microsoft releasing patches for XP and 2003 even though they were already unsupported.

Anyway, you'll be fine with 7. That's what I use, my usage patterns are the same as yours, and I don't plan on moving anytime soon. Note that you may have to install the drivers for your new SSD before you make the switch, or else you'll get a BSOD on startup.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I have made a custom Win7 Pro w/ SP1 install on USB thumb drive with USB 3.0 and NVMe drivers (plus all updates available) slip-streamed. I may just install the SDD as a secondary drive, format it, then copy the custom Win7 install onto it. Then pull my old boot drive and set SDD as Primary/Boot and install Windows from itself. Much faster that way.
    Last edited by MacGyverSG1; 08-20-2018 at 12:33 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yeah, I was thinking of installing the drivers, making an image of your current install, swapping the disks and reimaging. But I recall another post from you saying you haven't reinstalled Windows since 2009, so this is indeed a perfect opportunity for a fresh start
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Definitely need a fresh start. There are quirks to this current Windows install. I'm hoping a fresh install will fix everything. Once I get all the apps I use installed and everything fine-tuned, I'll create a backup image so next time will be easy.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I was gonna say that the biggest difference I can think of is that Direct X goes up a version. I'm also not a huge gamer but I'd imagine that it's an imrpovement.

Personally I'm flirting with the idea of going back to 7. 10 has too many little things I'm not keen on but live with (the tiled start menu, different locations and feel of control panel, recurring fluff installed like Minecraft and Paint 3D) never mind all the telemetry.

Should still be a free and legal update with adaptive technologies if you wanted to try it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    The most significant difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 is that Windows 10 is an attempt to synchronize the OS on all its products. This includes PCs laptops tablets phones as well as its Xboxs. Whereas Windows 7 is only supported on PCs and laptops. Another difference between the OSes is search.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mazriel View Post
    I was gonna say that the biggest difference I can think of is that Direct X goes up a version. I'm also not a huge gamer but I'd imagine that it's an imrpovement.

Personally I'm flirting with the idea of going back to 7. 10 has too many little things I'm not keen on but live with (the tiled start menu, different locations and feel of control panel, recurring fluff installed like Minecraft and Paint 3D) never mind all the telemetry.

Should still be a free and legal update with adaptive technologies if you wanted to try it.
    Yeah, I don't game anymore, expect for a couple real old games that have been re-released recently to work in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10. There are a couple of apps that can change the Start Menu to make it look like Windows 7 or Windows XP Start Menu on Win10. There are also a couple apps to shutoff and/or disable the telemetry. I have no idea how effective they are.

Quote Originally Posted by rotansharma View Post
    The most significant difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 is that Windows 10 is an attempt to synchronize the OS on all its products. This includes PCs laptops tablets phones as well as its Xboxs. Whereas Windows 7 is only supported on PCs and laptops. Another difference between the OSes is search.
    I don't use tablets or cellphones and could care less about the search feature. So I guess nothing missed there.
    Last edited by MacGyverSG1; 08-27-2018 at 09:20 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I run Windows 7 still on dedicated older gaming system that I don't connect to the net. Arcade cabs and stuff like that.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast