Thread: Annoying Update

How to stop windows update guys? and other updates of software?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I'm assuming you are talking about Windows 10? If you change your Internet connection to "metered" in Windows, it won't automatically download updates and install them. It will notify you that updates are available and you can download and install them when you want.

I was reading some more on this. I guess the "metered" connection workaround only works for computers using WiFi. There is a way to edit registry to stop Windows from downloading updates automatically. You can also disable updates by disabling the "service" that controls updates.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-d...in-windows-10/
    Last edited by MacGyverSG1; 09-07-2018 at 08:17 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    There are many reports of Microsoft ignoring the metered workaround for "important updates" (and let's remember they considered Windows 10 itself to be one), as well as the Windows Update service eventually reenabling itself if disabled.

The program I posted is the only way I know to effectively kill automatic updates, but its effects cannot be (easily) undone. The author makes that clear and recommends its usage on net cafes or corporate workstations, where changes to the system install are undesirable and/or nonpersistent anyway.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm pretty sure I have seen a similar program to disable updates, but it also disables the telemetry stuff. Since I don't use Win10 I never paid too much attention. I'll check to see if I bookmarked it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks, Mac. I will try to consider your points.

Thanks for the idea anon.
    Last edited by Dimple; 09-10-2018 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost