Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random junk files from Usenet posts for TV episodes

Since probably a year or more now I am finding some TV episode posts resulting in randomly named junk files with no extension. At least one of the files broken into equal parts appears to the be the name of the file that should result. Is anyone else experiencing this and have a solution. Right now all I can do is delete the junk files and download multiple NZB's of the same episode until get a good file of the episode.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    That's part of the obsfucation of the files (I believe). Makes it harder for DMCA. What downloader are you using? You need to use a compatible downloader for those archives. SABnzbd seems to be a good choice.

Also, check for the smallest files with no extension. Give them a .par2 extension. That might work also. It will rename files.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    the whole 1 - x extensions :S

If I grab `em all in newsbin it figures it out (but no single tick download). My Sab box would no doubt do it too without any interaction (as Mac says) but then I`d have to copy it back off my remote SMB share once finished
    Last edited by Gribley; 09-24-2018 at 01:30 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    If its a bunch of random text file names with no ext, then add .par2 to the smallest file, when you open in quickpar it will rename the files with correct extensions. You can get specific newsreaders that will auto do it too, as suggested.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nQQ View Post
    If its a bunch of random text file names with no ext, then add .par2 to the smallest file, when you open in quickpar it will rename the files with correct extensions. You can get specific newsreaders that will auto do it too, as suggested.
    Read the last line of my post above.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nQQ View Post
    Read the last line of my post above.
    And, your point being .....

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    You just repeated what I already said.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    I didn't say that might work, so was clarifying it

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    You can also open the files in a text editor/text viewer to check if it's a par2 file.

Find a file that starts with "PAR2 PKTD" and rename it with extension as described in earlier posts.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    The file size is usually a dead giveaway. It's either going to be a .par2, .nfo, .sfv or .srr. If you give the file a .txt extension and open it and see "PAR2 PKTD", then you change it. I just try .par2 first. The important thing is we learn something new and spread it around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast