Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charmed (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by nQQ View Post
    A "good show" is very subjective though - I've worked my way through a lot of the Marvel shows on Netflix, but the missus thinks they are pap. Though the quality has gone down on these as they are being churned out to a formula.

The problem has been a lot of "good" shows are fairly niche market and so whilst they have a dedicated following may get axed because the viewing figures are not as expected.
    Lower than expected viewing figures means little or no profit. The budget for a show is based on predicted profit. If a show doesn't make a profit right away, then it gets axed. Some shows need time to catch on. Look at Breaking Bad. I watched that show from the very beginning. Nobody was even talking about Breaking Bad until season 4-5. I loved it from s01e01. TV shows used to get time to find an audience. Now they have to be hits from day one or get cancelled.

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyverSG1 View Post
    A "good show" is very subjective though - I've worked my way through a lot of the Marvel shows on Netflix, but the missus thinks they are pap. Though the quality has gone down on these as they are being churned out to a formula.

The problem has been a lot of "good" shows are fairly niche market and so whilst they have a dedicated following may get axed because the viewing figures are not as expected.
    Lower than expected viewing figures means little or no profit. The budget for a show is based on predicted profit. If a show doesn't make a profit right away, then it gets axed. Some shows need time to catch on. Look at Breaking Bad. I watched that show from the very beginning. Nobody was even talking about Breaking Bad until season 4-5. I loved it from s01e01. TV shows used to get time to find an audience. Now they have to be hits from day one or get cancelled.
    TBF that's been the case for a long while. For many years I've done search in the fall schedule for s01e01 pilot shows and often many that seem good don't get pushed for a full series. Then there are those that get cancelled mid season so you don't even get a full season of episodes. What you do get now with streaming services is lower acceptable figures, or they release a whole season, so it doesn't end up with a short season. You will always get shows that have a single season and don't get carried forward, just as you will get shows renewed because some TV exec wants it to even though you feel that its not a patch on another show that they cancelled.

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    That's why I have only been watching new shows if they make it to season 3. I got burned too many times to invest time into a new show that gets canceled after one or two seasons. Unfortunately I haven't seen a "streaming service" show that has interested me yet (except Disenchantment).

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    That's why I have only been watching new shows if they make it to season 3. I got burned too many times to invest time into a new show that gets canceled after one or two seasons. Unfortunately I haven't seen a "streaming service" show that has interested me yet (except Disenchantment).
    I tried the remade Macgyver for a bit, and it is its own style, but in honesty, it is just not like the original Macgyver. I didn't know there is a Charmed remake either, but it seems very dubious. I can imagine if they remade Buffy, then there would be some giant huge twist on the whole thing to "update it for modern times" or whatever. Very few "remakes" really make a difference. When BSG was remade, there was this huge outcry over changing genders for Starbuck. I think in the end, it sort of worked, but I really don't know if it is change for the sake of change.

On the other hand, since you mention Disenchantment, the style may be similar (it is Matt Groening after all), but at least he tried very hard to turn the genre on its head. The princess is not the one who needs saving, but rather the elf is. LOL! And so unconventional a princess. So yeah, kudos for that, a great show. Can't wait for S2

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by patkhoo View Post
    I tried the remade Macgyver for a bit, and it is its own style, but in honesty, it is just not like the original Macgyver. I didn't know there is a Charmed remake either, but it seems very dubious. I can imagine if they remade Buffy, then there would be some giant huge twist on the whole thing to "update it for modern times" or whatever. Very few "remakes" really make a difference. When BSG was remade, there was this huge outcry over changing genders for Starbuck. I think in the end, it sort of worked, but I really don't know if it is change for the sake of change.
    I suppose its a hard choice, if they simply recast in a straight remake, actors will always be compared to the originals, if there are elements that show that are dated, then how to modernise - if its exactly the same are you just retelling to a new crowd. There will always be those who outcry the modernisation because producers differ from the old mainly white, mainly male, heterosexual setting. I suppose some do go too far the opposite direction, it is all about the audience and what they expect. after all, if not enough people watch then its doomed, however modern it does or doesn't become.

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Quote Originally Posted by patkhoo View Post

I suppose its a hard choice, if they simply recast in a straight remake, actors will always be compared to the originals, if there are elements that show that are dated, then how to modernise - if its exactly the same are you just retelling to a new crowd. There will always be those who outcry the modernisation because producers differ from the old mainly white, mainly male, heterosexual setting. I suppose some do go too far the opposite direction, it is all about the audience and what they expect. after all, if not enough people watch then its doomed, however modern it does or doesn't become.
    Well put. Reboots are lets face it sad since they can`t come up with original ideas anymore and it is left to us older gen to compare however I still watch `em.

I am still waiting on Sliders and Bab5 reboots, the one where there are more girls and every other person is gay (non-gender specific).

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    A new Sliders could be interesting. It's unfortunate that Jerry O'Connell left the show, plus the other original actors and writers. Season one and two were great. Season 3 was alright. The show dies after that. Kari Wuhrer was hot, but the show didn't work anymore.

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    How many new shows are often said to have been influenced by others, so a remake simply avoids to any pretence that it's a new concept. I agree about sliders, it became one of those shows I seeked out in BT for completeness but it really did go downhill by the third season. Sometimes shows explore all the ideas from the original concept but continue simply because its bringing in money.

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    A new Sliders could be interesting. It's unfortunate that Jerry O'Connell left the show, plus the other original actors and writers. Season one and two were great. Season 3 was alright. The show dies after that. Kari Wuhrer was hot, but the show didn't work anymore.
    Hmm, do you think it is a bit like Quantum Leap -> Sliders -> Timeless ?

I think in these cases, at least the show is different enough to not be considered a "remake", but the basic premise of having the same characters jumping around in time and space is the same..

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    QL was OK but very GOD based (as you`d expect from the director). Sliders was just good and let us not forget same year, same time, different dimension. Timeless was OK but way to recent to consider.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast