Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of movies

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Those of us in this community have free access to literally everything that comes out, has been out, or is otherwise difficult/impossible to find. That said, I have found myself with months now where nearly everything is poorly rated, a remake (poorly done), or just poorly told/written/directed/acted.

I realize that filesharing has made the major studios 'play it safe' in terms of moviemaking-- going with formulas that generate revenue while taking fewer/no risks in terms of coming out with new ideas. However, Hollywood is NOT the only source of movies these days-- nearly every country with running water and electricity has studios which are creating their own films. We also have Netflix and Amazon producing their own material, yet alone HBO and other traditional cable networks.

All this said, we *should* have an abundance of good, even great, material to watch. We simply don't.

Why? What will bring about the needed change?

I intentionally put this in Serious discussion because I believe it merits intelligent discussion-- and I don't have answers...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    Most new stuff involves either supernatural or just another Marvel spin for TV or Film. I watch `em as they are not totally bad and I have nothing better to do.

I would like more and lets be honest re-hashing stuff from our time is new to most and totally acceptable. I can think of several series that I would watch a reboot of just because the very slimmest core of the original show was still there. I`m old and just like to relive that youth thing now and again

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    I managed to stomach about 2/3 of the new Papillon movie. It managed to incorporate most of the original's scenes while failing to capture the essence and even the time (to me, it felt like it was almost modern day instead of turn of the century) period. Nothing gained from the remake; *much* lost.

I'm not even in Idol's camp of 'it's gotta be old to be good'-- if the new version was the only one made, it would not be a classic, more of a movie-of-the-week. And I absolutely *love* the original.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Gribley's Avatar On a hate list
    OK I`m not that old. Didn`t watch the 1973 version (at 1 yr old may not of been suitable) or even know about a remake. I`m more gone in 60 secs and Thomas Crown remake era :S Those I liked but I have no doubts the originals were probably better.

Now I am feeling all young and rebellious

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post

I'm not even in Idol's camp of 'it's gotta be old to be good'.
    Hardly true. It's just logical that in the century and half they've making movies not every good one would have been made in the last five years.

As for the current sci-fi boom unfortunately it's mostly driven by boredom with the familiar unlike previous spikes which were driven by people having their imaginations piqued by technological change.
    H.G. Wells-industrialization.The 50s early 60s - nuclear. The 70s- space exploration. The 80s- computers. Very little good comes from being bored. Witness this forum for an example.

Movies in general also suffer because of familiarity caused by the internet and the World ever increasingly becoming a smaller place.
    A film now really has to work to get a sense of place right whereas previous just setting a movie in Africa would give a sense of the totally alien.

@Gribley Just curious. Does the fact that I wasn't born in 1960 mean that I somehow now can't read To Kill a Mockingbird?

Steel yourself for more bad news, Meg. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...es-wan-1146253

Chance of these twats turning out a film with a faction of the soul of the orginal, less than zero.
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    dion09529's Avatar Helter Skelter BT Rep: +1
    Those of us in this community have free access to literally everything that comes out, has been out, or is otherwise difficult/impossible to find. That said, I have found myself with months now where nearly everything is poorly rated, a remake (poorly done), or just poorly told/written/directed/acted.

I realize that filesharing social media has made the major studios 'play it safe' ....
    fixed!
    Old shit was here. Now it's gone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dion09529 View Post
    I realize that filesharing social media has made the major studios 'play it safe' ....
    fixed!
    Please explain.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Hardly true.
    Spoiler: Show
    Movies in general also suffer because of familiarity caused by the internet and the World ever increasingly becoming a smaller place.
    A film now really has to work to get a sense of place right whereas previous just setting a movie in Africa would give a sense of the totally alien.

Steel yourself for more bad news, Meg. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...es-wan-1146253

Chance of these twats turning out a film with a faction of the soul of the orginal, less than zero.
    I have not seen that one, actually it slipped past me altogether. Will grab it for tomorrow night.

As for your points on the number of decades of film making and only so many films becoming classics-- there's merit to that, but look at the sheer quantities we are deluged with currently. It's hard enough picking and choosing what to watch yet alone keeping up with half of what comes out on a monthly basis. Sadly, I rarely find myself more than entertained by *anything* over the course of a year. And my bar is far lower than yours: I'll feel satisfied with 2 hours of mindless entertainment (like The Meg, for example) while a more critical eye will shun such a movie.

I don't remember the last film that had come out that rises to the level of the original Papillion, Cool Hand Luke, Shawshank (just kidding )... Usual Suspects, Private Ryan, Good Will Hunting, Forrest Gump, The Professional-- all have something special throughout which we haven't seen in quite some time.

Dare I say that we have reached the point of cinematic fast food? Something that is empty, non-nourishing, disposable and short-lived instead of satisfying, enjoyable, thought-provoking, and made with great care. I think so, sadly.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    nQQ's Avatar Poster
    Filesharing doesn't make them play safe, its a zero revenue stream so they won't consider that. The movie industry has always had an attitude of when find a winning formula stick with it - hence why many films had multiple sequels of varying success. Now we have the same but they just change the title rather than add II, III, etc. Remakes have always happened, even in the same series - the plot lines of the new star wars are very similar to the originals.

It could be said that we have run out of original concepts - but they try, like the game themes Clue, Pacman, Battleship and hangman - I eagerly await noughts-and-crosses and tic-tac-toe (not!!)

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Yeah, the studios like to blame piracy if the numbers are down. But they can't do that right now. Piracy actually has a positive impact. It's free advertising. I still buy movies that I really like. No lost revenue there. They like to count every download as lost revenue, but 99% of downloaders would have never purchased it anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast